Help with homemade vegetable yogurt

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
1:45 PM
I love vegetable yogurt but in my country they're very expensive. So I decided to get myself a yogurt maker and try to make my own.

I lost count of the vegetable yogurts I cooked in the last two weeks. But I didn't lose count of the homemade vegetable yogurts I ate...zero.

My first two batches of coconut yogurt were thin and runny. I used them for cooking.
My first batch of almond milk yogurt was too thick and lumpy (this is the only batch where I used cornstarch). To be honest the pics of the recipe showed yogurt that seemed too thick to me.
My second batch of almond milk yogurt is thin and runny.

After reading countless recipes I believe I'm using the wrong milks. Milk needs to have little ingredients, no additives and in the case of coconut milk, about 70% coconut. I'm struggling find these milks in my country.

I'm using tapioca starch and a probiotic. I'm confident with this probiotic, online I found two people who use it (one is using a food processor to make the yogurt, which I don't have, and the other lives in another country).

I decided this weekend I will make my own coconut milk from shredded coconut and try to make coconut yogurt once again. I want to use tapioca starch as my thickener because that's what I already have at home.

Any tips? Any good yogurt recipes with homemade coconut milk and tapioca starch?

I've never tried to make any vegetable yoghurts because they are easily available in all supermarkets here. I wonder if you might do better with soya milk? Have you tried that?

I think you have to use full fat coconut milk for yoghurt.

I've never tried to make any vegetable yoghurts because they are easily available in all supermarkets here. I wonder if you might do better with soya milk? Have you tried that?

I think you have to use full fat coconut milk for yoghurt.

Hello, I'm not a huge fan of soy based yogurts. I will keep trying with coconut milk for now. I found a canned brand that may work (full fat, 68% coconut and only 3 ingredients) but has guar gum and I'm afraid it will thicken too much.

I will try with my own homemade coconut milk this weekend. If it turns too thin I can still use it for cooking. I have to admit I've grown a bit tired of cooking with coconut milk these past weeks though :D

I’m thinking about farofa as substitute for coconut flour. I know farofa mostly goes for savoury dishes - by the way, I love it! - but maybe by adding some sugar and modifying it a bit, could work with rice milk?

I’m thinking about farofa as substitute for coconut flour. I know farofa mostly goes for savoury dishes - by the way, I love it! - but maybe by adding some sugar and modifying it a bit, could work?

Thank you for the idea, it may work, though the recipes I've seen call for milk and then either for starches or guar gum and xanthan gum as thickeners. I'm using tapioca starch for now because I'm trying to use what I have at home.

Thank you for the idea, it may work, though the recipes I've seen call for milk and then either for starches or guar gum and xanthan gum as thickeners. I'm using tapioca starch for now because I'm trying to use what I have at home.

Not that I am an expert on making homemade yoghurt in general, what I have read about it is that starches or guar gum and xanthan gum are quite mandatory..
Did you try to take a look on some vegan website?

Not that I am an expert on making homemade yoghurt in general, what I have read about it is that starches or guar gum and xanthan gum are quite mandatory..
Did you try to take a look on some vegan website?

I've been using tapioca starch. The only milk that thickened was when I used cornstarch but it was too thick for me. I tried the same recipe with tapioca starch but it didn't thicken, I probably didn't get quantities right.

I've ready countless recipes...there's also this portuguese woman who keeps a blog full of vegan recipes, her son is allergic to both soy and milk protein and she has many vegetable yogurt recipes, really simple and with few ingredients. However she lives in Switzerland and the milks she's using aren't sold here in Portugal.

I'm making my own coconut milk right now, using this recipe. If my next batch of yogurts doesn't turn out right, guess who's eating curry again this weekend...

I've been using tapioca starch. The only milk that thickened was when I used cornstarch but it was too thick for me. I tried the same recipe with tapioca starch but it didn't thicken, I probably didn't get quantities right.

I've ready countless recipes...there's also this portuguese woman who keeps a blog full of vegan recipes, her son is allergic to both soy and milk protein and she has many vegetable yogurt recipes, really simple and with few ingredients. However she lives in Switzerland and the milks she's using aren't sold here in Portugal.

I'm making my own coconut milk right now, using this recipe. If my next batch of yogurts doesn't turn out right, guess who's eating curry again this weekend...

Yeah right, I’ve missed the point where you said you have already read countless recipes about.

What about using curry since you are in the wave? 😅

Last edited:
7C4E4F63-0230-4341-AE37-67AC4487908D.jpeg

I’m very happy to report that today, at 4PM GMT+1, a beautiful yogurt was born. It’s not vegetable but it’s dairy free. It took 2364 attempts, a change of milk, a change of equipment, a change of starter and a sacrifice to the gods but I made it. Next try will be with actual vegetable milk but I finally feel like I’m onto something.

It’s dairy free milk plus a bit of dairy free yogurt as starter. Making it at home is 2€ cheaper than buying it from the supermarket:happy:

If its dairy free milk then what is it made from? You mean nuts?

Well done at getting there at last. I think once you crack the code it will be easy to replicate.

Sorry, I think I meant lactose free not dairy free. It’s made from regular milk but I think they add lactase to it to make it easier to digest.

Cracking the code, I like that word :happy: You are right, I believe now it will be easier. Next steps are coconut, and oat milk, and almond milk yogurt, I like those yogurts even better And they’re expensive in my country.

Back
Top Bottom