Herbs for lamb chops?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:37 PM
Okay, so I know a lot of people use mint with lamb. I am not a fan of mint with meats. I generally marinade my lamb chops with EVOO and fresh rosemary, roasted garlic, and oregano. I don't have any of those herbs (fresh) on hand ATM. What I do have is fresh garlic, sage and thyme. Does anyone know if those herbs work well with lamb?

I think they would be fine, especially the thyme and garlic. I always think of sage with pork, but that's probably just me with blinders on.

I don't care for mint on lamb, either. I use fresh rosemary from my garden, and garlic. How I use them depends on how I cook the chops. Sometimes in a marinade, such as when I am going to grill (BBQ) them, and other times in the oil I use to pan fry them.

CD

I think they would be fine, especially the thyme and garlic. I always think of sage with pork, but that's probably just me with blinders on.
I like sage on my poultry...

Lamb is still a fairly new cooking experiment for me, since I used to try my husband's regularly at fine dining establishments and never liked it...then cooked it at home myself with the aforementioned garlic, rosemary, and oregano...and fell in love with it.

So yeah, I am just going to go with it. I have plenty of herbs to use up for another meal after this. I don't want to overpower the lamb so I will go sparingly (except the garlic of course, LOL).

I don't care for mint on lamb, either. I use fresh rosemary from my garden, and garlic. How I use them depends on how I cook the chops. Sometimes in a marinade, such as when I am going to grill (BBQ) them, and other times in the oil I use to pan fry them.

CD
My rosemary is still out there but it is rather dormant ATM. I plan on pan searing them in cast iron per the usual. During the summer a few times I have gotten hubby to grill them on high heat for a minute on each side and finished them in the oven on a low temp, but it gets so dark so early in winter he can't see what he is doing...

I think whatever goes with beef would go with lamb.
Yeah, that all depends on what I am doing with the beef, too. If it's steaks I like a soy based marinade with maybe garlic and pepper and don't use herbs. If it's beef stew, it's bay leaf and such. And so on...

From a lamb country I use mint, but in your situation go with what you have. Garlic and rosemary or garlic butter to serve.
My wife choice hands down is tandoori lamb.
It's very popular here. :)

Russ

From a lamb country I use mint, but in your situation go with what you have. Garlic and rosemary or garlic butter to serve.
My wife choice hands down is tandoori lamb.
It's very popular here. :)

Russ
I've tried the mint, it doesn't work for me. The thyme, sage and roasted garlic with olive oil and soy sauce was spectacular!

I'd love to try the tandoori sometime.

Hey Jas! I made a small rack of lamb yesterday, here was my marinade: fresh garlic, fresh thyme, one small shallot, black pepper, a splash of sherry, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of olive oil. Blended marinade and marinated the rack in a gallon-sized ziplock for 8 hours. I salted it just before putting it in the oven. Instead of serving with mint jelly (which I don't like), I served with pepper jelly. The end result wasn't bad at all!

Tarragon is my choice of herb for lamb.
I cook the lamb with tarragon and then season on the plate with mint sauce.

Back
Top Bottom