Herbs & spices for pork?

Altena27

Local time
6:35 PM
[Mod.Edit: post moved to start new thread]

Without relying much on Salt and Pepper which spices and herbs goes well with Pork? I often use Cumin and Paprika.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without relying much on Salt and Pepper which spices and herbs goes well with Pork? I often use Cumin and Paprika.

Sage is traditional here with pork and thyme and oregano both go well. Anise flavours work well - like star anise which is found in Chinese five-spice powder. Cumin, cinnamon, juniper, ginger...

Whatever spices I use on pork I alway use paprika. It gives it a nice color

Gives a more reddish color to the meats than the Paprika, and its flavor is neutral which you barely feel imposing the others.

On its own, it has an earthy flavor. When onion, garlic, sour orange juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper are blended with it, a very flavorful marinade/rub is created. This blend is used for Cochinita Pibil and would be great with other pork cuts and chicken for grilling! Culantro in place of, or in addition to the oregano would also enhance it.

On its own, it has an earthy flavor. When onion, garlic, sour orange juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper are blended with it, a very flavorful marinade/rub is created. This blend is used for Cochinita Pibil and would be great with other pork cuts and chicken for grilling! Culantro in place of, or in addition to the oregano would also enhance it.

I realise I've been confused about achiote. I have three different packets. One is achiote paste in a block, another is a tin of achiote powder the third is a sachet of achiote powder. On close inspection I now realise that the paste I've been using and the tinned powder both have added spices. In the case of the paste they are unspecified. The powder lists Mexican oregano and garlic. The powder in the sachet has no flavourings - just some cornflour. The latter has very little taste and aroma that I can detect. So it seems that what I thought was the taste of achiote is actually the spices/herbs...and yet its a very distinctive taste. I remain somewhat confused.

Back
Top Bottom