Holiday Ornaments/Decorations

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:22 PM
Ok, we're finishing up the tree today, so I thought I'd post some of our ornaments.

When we first married, we had a lot of wooden and "country" ornaments. However, in 2003, we bought our first blown glass ornaments and we were hooked.

We still have those, a little set of three Santas, bought somewhere on the south bank of the Thames, around Tower Bridge.

Do you have any favorite ornaments or decorations you put out each year? If so, share them here!

We don't put up a regular tree anymore, but I have a glass ball ornament with a snowman hand painted on it that was given to me as a very young girl by a very dear family friend, honorary aunt, who has long since left us. It has the year on it, but is packed away so don't remember exactly, but it was in the 1960s.

The tree we do put up is metal scrollwork with handmade satin ball ornaments with crystals, sequins, ribbon, beads, etc. A few years ago, oldest DGD and I did the ornament of the month club together when she was going through a crafting phase, so she has a tree exactly like ours for her room.

I love the ornaments like yours TastyReuben , but most of our glass ornaments got broken 1 year when 1 of our kitties decided the tree was a fun place to play. I'm just glad my antique ornament didn't get broken. Hard to imagine it's made it to 50+ years now.

This is our tree skirt:

I don't remember exactly where we bought it (maybe Delaware in 1996), but I remember picking it out and fighting with the wife over buying it. She wanted a more traditionally festive one, meaning something like bright red felt with fake fur trim and all that. Would have looked cheap, gaudy, and probably lasted two years.

I liked this one because it's festive colors, red and gold, but it's not overtly Christmassy. Plus, it's very heavy and very well-made.

I haven't pulled them out yet, but I'll post some of the better ones when I do!

Fortunately, my cats have outgrown the "torment the tree" stage!

I love the tree skirt! The one I had didn't wear well, and got tossed when I moved up here. Haven't gotten a replacement yet - probably that will happen next year.

Here are the two tree toppers* we have. The one on the left is the newer one, bought in Gettysburg, PA in 2013. The one on the right was purchased from Bloomingdales in Minneapolis in 1997. We're using the Bloomingdales one this year.

*A tree topper is also called a finial d'arbre - I learned that from The Hallmark Channel. :laugh:

I like simple Xmas ornaments/decorations, even colorful and festive, but not too much and possibly not too much related to Santa’s. My neighbors have dressed up their house like if it was Rovaniemi.
I’ll try to post something I have about Xmas, but I also follow tradition about Presepe which maybe someone could find boring.. no lights, only Maria e Giuseppe and the baby Jesus.

I like simple Xmas ornaments/decorations, even colorful and festive, but not too much and possibly not too much related to Santa’s. My neighbors have dressed up their house like if it was Rovaniemi.
I’ll try to post something I have about Xmas, but I also follow tradition about Presepe which maybe someone could find boring.. no lights, only Maria e Giuseppe and the baby Jesus.
Nothing Christmas-related is boring to me. I'm looking forward to what you post!

We bought this one in 2011, at the Christmas market in Chicago. Chicago has an excellent market, mainly because nearly all the vendors come over from Europe for a month, so it's very authentic. We've been three times.

What happens after Christmas TastyReuben - do you sink into a deep depression? :ohmy:
More or less, yes. Not so much a depression, just kind of a funk. All the fun stuff is over, work is still a pain to deal with, and it seems like the whole mood all around is one of huge let-down.

The thing is...I really appreciate the quiet of January and February. Those are the coldest months here and it feels like everything is in a sort of suspended state for a while, and I like that. It's everyone else who gets me down! :)

I'm still at my friend's house and I reckon this is the nearest it will get to Christmas ornaments or decorations here. Most of the candles and the LED lights are things I've bought over the years.

Back
Top Bottom