Recipe Holly's Lunchbox

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:21 AM
My daughter, Holly, decided to try and eat healthier lunches at work. She usually takes cheese and Branston pickle sandwiches! This is the salad I made for her to take to work, this morning. It buckwheat, beetroot, spring onions (scallions), grilled Halloumi cheese with dried tarragon and orange juice dressing. A few shreds of orange peel on top. I've prefixed this as a recipe - but its more of an assembly job!

IMGP0380.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks really good and healthy. I love all the different colors. I am sure that she loved it!

The 'assembly job' looks great:). How about preparing Anne's lunchbox? I am still recovering from and exhaustive week, so I welcome any help in the kitchen right now. How many cheeses do you have in your kitchen @morning glory? At this moment I have maybe two and the one you mentioned I have no idea what it is.

Wow that looks really good and healthy. I love all the different colors. I am sure that she loved it!
She reported back that it was great apart from the fact that the grilled Halloumi didn't taste of much. She had pevviously had fried Halloumi in a chain restaurant somewhere... I reckon it might be that they marinated it in something. :scratchhead:

The 'assembly job' looks great:). How about preparing Anne's lunchbox? I am still recovering from and exhaustive week, so I welcome any help in the kitchen right now. How many cheeses do you have in your kitchen @morning glory? At this moment I have maybe two and the one you mentioned I have no idea what it is.
Halloumi is a Greek cheese. Fairly 'rubbery' so it stays intact when grilled or fried. At the moment I have 5 cheeses, Roquefort (French Blue), Brie, Cheddar, Halloumi and Feta. I bought the Roquefort for you (true!). I noticed that you made Rock cakes and was trying to dream up quirky variations. So I thought 'Roquefort Rock Cakes!'. It was merely alliteration but then I thought, why not? I haven't actually made them yet and you probably don't like blue cheese anyway!
It seems that a majority of people outside the UK and Europe don't like blue cheese much.

I'd be happy to make lunchboxes for you. But I'm not sure they would survive the journey (or customs!). :D:laugh:

It seems that a majority of people outside the UK and Europe don't like blue cheese much.
Strange, but true.

Coincidentally, I was looking for a way to use up fridge ingredients in a healthy lunchbox this week. Fruit, salad and cold meats, suddenly a light bulb came on in my brain and I thought of coronation sauce (as in Coronation chicken). Low fat creme fraiche, a dollop of mango chutney, liberal sprinkle of curry powder (I used Madras and garam masala), sprinkle of ground cinnamon and season to taste. The sweetness and spiciness allows you to combine all sorts of fruit, salad and protein. In went chopped apple, kiwi fruit, grapes, peppers, spinach, watercress, leftover cold turkey, sultanas, flaked almonds. I lunched on different variations of this all week.

I can't remember ever eating Blue cheese truth be told. My greatest experience with cheeses was more than twenty years ago when I was in Holland and I can't remember what types made the trip back home with me. It was quite an eye opener the amount of cheeses that existed and the life span of many of them.

You are right @morning glory. Even if dish survived the journey, they most certainly won't survive Customs.

I can't remember ever eating Blue cheese truth be told. My greatest experience with cheeses was more than twenty years ago when I was in Holland and I can't remember what types made the trip back home with me. It was quite an eye opener the amount of cheeses that existed and the life span of many of them.

You are right @morning glory. Even if dish survived the journey, they most certainly won't survive Customs.
The Roquefort Rock Cakes have been made in your honour. I will post the recipe later with photos. Its such a shame you can't taste them!

Yes, it does look healthy and it is good to vary the routine anyway. It is hard to beat a colorful salad with lots of eye catching ingredients in it. Usually the more colors something has the healthier it is. I try to make colorful foods whenever possible. I haven't made them, but I am a great admirer of those winter veggie salads. Most contain kale and a wide variety of healthy ingredients.

The Roquefort Rock Cakes have been made in your honour. I will post the recipe later with photos. Its such a shame you can't taste them!
Allow me please to take a bow:). I can't wait to see them. Are you aware that Rock Cakes are a special treat for me? It's a fitting gift for a young girl turned 50 yesterday.

Allow me please to take a bow:). I can't wait to see them. Are you aware that Rock Cakes are a special treat for me? It's a fitting gift for a young girl turned 50 yesterday.
I'm nearly old enough to be your Mum. 50 is indeed young. The only problem I has was I started getting those menopausal symptoms. The air-con was turned up full blast in my office! :D People used to joke that if they had a meeting with me they needed to wear an overcoat. I'll post the photo and recipe soon! and Happy Birthday! :cake::woot:

Back
Top Bottom