Home Baking

When was the last time you baked bread at home?
Last spring. I found a recipie for the breadmaker that I could make at home. The only problem was I did not have bread flour. The bread tasted really good, but it was caved in the middle so that wasn't good! I am thinking that if I use bread flour for the recipie that won't happen. What do y'all think??

Last spring. I found a recipie for the breadmaker that I could make at home. The only problem was I did not have bread flour. The bread tasted really good, but it was caved in the middle so that wasn't good! I am thinking that if I use bread flour for the recipie that won't happen. What do y'all think??
You really do need 'strong' bread flour to make well risen bread. That just means it has a high gluten content. Try again using bread flour and see what happens!

I made some pizza bread with lots of parmesan cheese and herb butter on top to go with our baked ziti the other night and it turned out so good.
Bread is one of my favourite foods, I could eat the whole batch! I put some garlic powder on top too and it gave it a lot of flavour.

I made some pizza bread with lots of parmesan cheese and herb butter on top to go with our baked ziti the other night and it turned out so good.
Bread is one of my favourite foods, I could eat the whole batch! I put some garlic powder on top too and it gave it a lot of flavour.
I had to look up baked ziti as its not a familiar dish here in UK. It seems to be spaghetti-like pasta layered with cheese and baked. Is that right? I'm sort of struggling here!..... Why would you want pizza bread and parmesan with that? Surely that is just more carbs and cheese. No doubt I'm completely misunderstanding this...:scratchhead:

But I'm with you on bread being one of my favourite foods. There are so many varieties of bread and its so versatile.

Baking bread takes time, we all prefer buying ready baked loaves. Many people take bread baking to occasions where everyone need fresh bread. I am baking bread right now, it is true that am never perfect.

So I want to bake what most of you call a loaf of bread, something that calls for yeast. I just want to to and say I have done it because my son insists I should stay away from yeast and I suppose bread. For the first time in my life, I bought some yeast this week, but when I bought it, I had two things in mind- getting rid of some mosquitoes and then baking the bread. The YouTube trap is not working for the mosquitoes and leaves me wondering if I should even attempt the bread. I have to tell you I am no baker and the thought of baking a bread always seems intimidating. Introduce the flours and that's even worse.

Last edited:
So I want to bake what most of you call a loaf of bread, something that calls for yeast. I just want to do say I have done it because my insist I should stay away from yeast and I suppose bread. For the first time in my life I bought some yeast this week, but when I bought it had two things in mind. Getting rid of some mosquitoes and then baking the bread. The YouTube trap is not working for the mosquitoes and leaves me wondering if I should even attempt the bread. I have to tell you I am no baker and the thought of baking a bread always seems intimidating. Introduce the flours and that's even worse.
Is it instant yeast (fast acting yeast)? That's the dried granules or powder. Fleischmann's brand is popular in the U.S. Its so much easier to use.
I posted this link before but it may be handy if you haven't done it before.
How to knead:
http://bread.wonderhowto.com/how-to/knead-bread-dough-by-hand-355638/

Last edited:
I have actually found a UK supplier of fresh yeast. I may give them a try at some point, but for today, there is a soft dippy 50/50 white/wholemeal sourdough loaf warming up after proofing in the fridge and I have a 100% dark rye, roasted sunflower seed and honey sourdough loaf about to be made today. I am at the pre-ferment stage where I make the loaf to proof in the fridge overnight. The sunflower seeds have been roasted and are now soaking. I'm just busy making our evening meal (cooking chickpeas with crushed garlic and whole chili) and making our vegan bean pate (cooking the butterbeans) at the moment, so the 2nd loaf will have to wait a touch longer.

It is also not very warm here today, so my sourdough bread will take longer to rise!

Right - link to the fresh yeast in the UK.
http://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct/organic-fresh-yeast.htm

I have actually found a UK supplier of fresh yeast. I may give them a try at some point, but for today, there is a soft dippy 50/50 white/wholemeal sourdough loaf warming up after proofing in the fridge and I have a 100% dark rye, roasted sunflower seed and honey sourdough loaf about to be made today. I am at the pre-ferment stage where I make the loaf to proof in the fridge overnight. The sunflower seeds have been roasted and are now soaking. I'm just busy making our evening meal (cooking chickpeas with crushed garlic and whole chili) and making our vegan bean pate (cooking the butterbeans) at the moment, so the 2nd loaf will have to wait a touch longer.

It is also not very warm here today, so my sourdough bread will take longer to rise!

Right - link to the fresh yeast in the UK.
http://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct/organic-fresh-yeast.htm
Just checked this out and nearly bought some - until I discovered the hefty £7 delivery charge, which considering I was only ordering £3 worth of yeast seemed bonkers! Even if I ordered flour as well I'd consider this too much postage to pay.:(

Is it instant yeast (fast acting yeast)? That's the dried granules or powder. Fleischmann's brand is popular in the U.S. Its so much easier to use.
I posted this link before but it may be handy if you haven't done it before.
How to knead:
http://bread.wonderhowto.com/how-to/knead-bread-dough-by-hand-355638/
I am a real foreigner to this yeast thing but I just checked and it says instant yeast . What I will say is that it was ridiculously cheap so it can't be any of the best stuff. Not sure if that's a fair assessment. It's not killing a single bug.... the scent that's now coming from the concoction is about to kill me and not the bugs which sets me back further! I might never make a bread after all.

Back
Top Bottom