Home Fries - what do they mean to you?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:40 AM
Home fries isn't a term used in the UK. As far as I can tell, they are what are called 'fried potatoes' in the UK but we also have a product (frozen) called 'Home Style Chips', versions of which are produced by most frozen food companies. They are chips (fries) lightly coated in some sort of herbs/spices to give a crispy finish and they are cooked in the oven from frozen.

Looking up the term this is what I get as a definition of 'home fries':

Merriam-Webster:
Potatoes that have usually been parboiled, sliced, and then fried - called also home fried potatoes (US)

Collins Dictionary:
Raw or boiled potatoes, sliced and fried in a frying pan.

Wikipedia:
Main ingredients: Potatoes, vegetable oil or butter (bell peppers) (onions) (salt) (black pepper)

Alternative names: Home fries (US), house fries (US), American fries (US), fried potatoes (UK and regional US) or bistro potatoes (southeastern US) are a type of basic potato dish made by pan- or skillet-frying chunked, sliced, wedged or diced potatoes that are sometimes unpeeled and may have been par-cooked by boiling, baking, steaming, or microwaving. They are sometimes served as a substitute for hash browns.
In North America, home fries are popular as a breakfast side dish.

What do home fries (fried potatoes in UK) mean to you? How do you cook them - do you par-boil them first? What shape do you cut them?

I make my own chips/ fries. I use agria potatoes and I slice into about 6mm/ 1/4 inch strips. Soak in water to remove some of the starch. Dry then fry in my deep frier, until nearly ready. Then remove and let cool until ready to serve. Then recook until crisp. Lightly salted. I've never bought store bought prepared chips. You don't get better than home made. I do however buy store bought sweet tatter fries, just heat up in the oven. They are seasonal.

Russ

I make my own chips/ fries. I use agria potatoes and I slice into about 6mm/ 1/4 inch strips. Soak in water to remove some of the starch. Dry then fry in my deep frier, until nearly ready. Then remove and let cool until ready to serve. Then recook until crisp. Lightly salted. I've never bought store bought prepared chips. You don't get better than home made. I do however buy store bought sweet tatter fries, just heat up in the oven. They are seasonal.

I think you are talking about crisps (known as chips in the US), rather than potato fries or fried potato.

Crisps (chips in US) - deep fried.

crisps.jpg

Chips (Fries in US) - deep fried. The sort served with 'Fish and Chips'

chips2-425x239.jpg

Home Fries (Fried potatoes in UK) - which are not deep fried and may come in different shapes:

delish-fried-potatoes-horizontal-1537915168.jpg Home-Fries-Recipe-7.jpg

Oven Chips and/or Potato Wedges - baked in the oven. Often chunkier than deep-fried chips:

oven_chips_67210_16x9.jpg

Last edited:
The two pictures side by side are what we consider home fries. We also have hash brownes which are grated and then shallow fried or done on a flat top.

Sliced, cubed or chunked. I usually steam or microwave the cubed or chunked a bit to make sure they get done all the way through. We usually pan fry using bacon grease (I keep some in refrigerator) or butter in combination with either vegetable oil or solid vegetable shortening (Crisco). Salt and pepper obviously. Sometimes I add in thinly sliced or chopped onions about halfway through cooking time as they tend to get much too brown if you put them in at the beginning since they tend to drift toward the bottom of the pan, especially the chopped ones.

The 'home style' frozen chips (fries) sold in the UK generally use paprika in the coating. It does add a good colour and flavour.
I sometimes will get the frozen fries or gator tots. I put some oil with salt, pepper, other spices in a bag and toss to coat. Bake them longer than recommended because I like a crisp fry

Back
Top Bottom