Home-made baked beans

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
10:21 AM
I can't wait to see your recipe.
:okay: okay this is meant to taste like Heinz backed beans.
Soak borlotti/ pinto/navy etc beans for 24 hrs, chop up some pancetta leaving skin on and place in your pot. Put In the drained beans. Add a cup of water/chicken stock, a jar of passata, a good squeeze of ketchup,chopped onion, a dollop of dijon, a dessert spoon of dark muscovado, a good shake of Worcestershire.Stir then cook for 8 hrs. Stir and taste after 4 hrs, add a little more water if it appears to be drying out.Taste and season at the end.
I use this as a base for faux re fried beans, I just take a few dollops add lime juice, cummin, chili powder and a bit of fine chopped coriander stalk and mash.
1603621962018.png

Last edited:
:okay: okay this is meant to taste like Heinz backed beans.
Soak borlotti/ pinto/navy etc beans for 24 hrs, chop up some pancetta leaving skin on and place in your pot. Put In the drained beans. Add a cup of water/chicken stock, a jar of passata, a good squeeze of ketchup,chopped onion, a dollop of dijon, a dessert spoon of dark muscovado, a good shake of Worcestershire.Stir then cook for 8 hrs. Stir and taste after 4 hrs, add a little more water if it appears to be drying out.Taste and season at the end.
I use this as a base for faux re fried beans, I just take a few dollops add lime juice, cummin, chili powder and a bit of fine chopped coriander stalk and mash.
Well now...you took the baked beans in slightly different places from where I'd seen before. The passata and muscovado are things I've never used, but I see that they're subtly different from tomato sauce and brown sugar. And, dijon mustard vs. standard yellow seems to also make a difference. Another thing to add to the family meal list.

I do something similar but don't cook the beans from scratch. Tins of pinto, haricot beans are so cheap here. I use a home-made tomato sauce made with red wine (reduced), black treacle, a little of mucovado sugar and Worcester sauce & sometimes add a touch of liquid smoke. No mustard. I should try it.

Back
Top Bottom