Home made pizza toast

Rachele

Veteran
Local time
10:40 PM
This extremely simple dish is one I make often, and it's delicious!

Toast two slices of bread on both sides under the grill. When it is toasted, smear tomato puree over both slices, making sure you fully cover one side of the toasted bread. Then, sprinkle some dried chillies on top of the puree and cover that with thinly sliced cheese, again making sure you cover the entire surface of the toast. Next, thinly slice some cherry tomatoes (or whatever tomato you prefer) and spread them out on top of the cheese. Pop the toast back under the grill until the cheese starts to melt and them remove. Garnish you dish with a few basil leaves and a sprinkle of rock salt, and voila - home made pizza toast! I like to drizzle my home made chilli oil over the top of the pizza toast before I eat it because I am of the opinion that you can never, ever have enough chillies, but that's my personal taste, and I have a cast-iron stomach. :hungry:

That is a really simple idea, which I think I must try. It would be something good to cook for a quick lunch or light supper. I would just use a little olive oil, rather than your chilli oil. I do like chillies but for pizza toast I would prefer garlic infused oil or slivers of garlic with sliced olives.

That is a really simple idea, which I think I must try. It would be something good to cook for a quick lunch or light supper. I would just use a little olive oil, rather than your chilli oil. I do like chillies but for pizza toast I would prefer garlic infused oil or slivers of garlic with sliced olives.

Garlic and olives sounds delicious, I am definitely going to try that!

I do this all the time. Tomato sauce, onions, what ever meat I have in the fridge and cheese. Add a bit of hot sauce (the ones that are like a paste, not liquid) and it's a great snack or lunch.

I basically do the same thing when I am craving pizza in a hurry. I typically keep ciabatta rolls on hand, so I will cut them in half and put them in the toaster until golden. In the meantime I warm up some pizza sauce or tomato sauce (seasoned heavily with oregano and red pepper flakes). Then I assemble the ciabatta, sauce and cheese into a "pizza" and throw it under the broiler until it's all melted and golden.

I will also do this with pita breads - preferably the puffy doughy kind, not the dry flat ones. I will broil them a bit on their own to toast them, then make the pizza and pop them back under the broiler. Great for appetizers at parties too!

I do this often. Sometimes I make it for a quick at home "pizza" and I have also revised the recipe and made it as an appetizer for a dinner and drinks gathering. I like to get creative and sometimes don't use tomato (I love it with tomato but it can get a little messy at a party). The most recent one I made that seemed to be a hit was a goat cheese and fig, it only required those two ingredients but had a lot of flavor.

Home made pizza toast is really something an easy thing to do.. After spreading pizza sauce on the loaf bread, I topped it with pineapple tidbits, ham or bacon bits, green bell pepper with quickmelt cheese and then toast until the cheese melts. This is what I always do for my home made pizza toast. It's delicious!

I love pizzas! But curiously, I have never tried making one for myself. I keep thinking about trying out one, but every time I'm at the grocery, I seem to always tell myself to get the pizza ingredients on the next grocery trip. I should probably stop procrastinating and just do it. I should probably start with this easy enough pizza toast recipe.

Well this is a winner. No worries about not having the pizza dough. I would play around with some other toppings. Some bacon bits,ham bits and some onions immediately come to mind. I still have to remember it's a slice of bread and I can't drown it in garnishes. I wondered in the beginning if it wasn't going to be bit mushy but you pop it on the grill a second time and, Voila. I think I am going to try this as soon as tomorrow. Might have to substitute here and there.

mmm that sounds like a really good recipe. I have a lot of little pizza lovers in my family. I will have to see if they enjoy it. It looks like it would be a bit cheaper to make then pizza because you can use bread instead of pizza dough.

Are the chilles a necessary part of the recipe? My sister and I want to make this but we have everything we need to make it except for the chilles mentioned. If something like the chilles are required, that's fine too.

Back
Top Bottom