Homemade breakfast bars

BeeboBaggins

Über Member
Local time
7:07 AM
Does anybody know if, when making oat, nut and fruit bars, you HAVE to cook the oats before hand? Or can I just do this with no cooking?

I've really only made oat bars without cooking the oats...I would be worried that by cooking the oats the texture would be kind of mushy?

The recipe I use just combines honey, sugar and some peanut butter and warms that up, then mixes through uncooked oats and some dried fruit pieces and putting it in a pan and refrigerating.

The recipes I have seen did not require the oats be cooked in advance.

I have never made home made breakfast bars, but I have made home made granola. It is easy and good. It is something that is well worth making in my opinion. It is important to try new things I think, and home made breakfast bars sound like a winner. I would want to use peanut butter in mine, as that is one of my favorite protein sources.

I've never done this which is why I'm curious to the recipes as well. In college I used to mix rice crispies, peanuts, chocolate and marshmallows. Once you mix them completely put it in a microwave for a few minutes, mix it again let it cool and shape them in the appropriate sizes using a pan. A few hours in the refrigerator and you've made your own breakfast bars! I just invented it but I realized it could be a thing since I know some granola snacks are made this way but with honey, butterscotch, sugar etc.

I usually grind the oats and use them as they are. Although in some recipes had tried roasting them a bit on a pan just enough to give them a nice golden color and flavor. You may want to try that for a change. It will give your granola bars some texture and crisp as well as some mild nutty flavor.

I don't think you need to cook the oats prior to putting everything together. My mother has made all raw oat bars and they came out fantastic. I think it's more of a preference than anything.

Back
Top Bottom