Recipe Homemade Chinese Five Spice Blend

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:15 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I needed some Chinese five spice blend for an ingredient challenge recipe, and it was a public holiday yesterday plus we don't drive anywhere unless we actually have a serious need for something we can't make because it's a minimum of 125km round trip to go anywhere to get anything... So I needed to make my own as best as I could.

As with all spice blends there really isn't a set recipe with set quantities or ratios for this blend so I took a stab in the dark and chose one that made the most sense. This one is based on weight ratios 4:2:1.

Note that if any of your spices are already ground, omit them from the toasting stage else you'll risk burning them.

Ingredients
5g star anise (each petal/pod snapped off)
5g fennel seeds
2½g cassia (Chinese cinnamon) broken up into small pieces
2½g Sichuan pepper (substitute with 3¾g black peppercorns if needed)
1¼g cloves

Method
  • In a sutiable dry pan, roast all of the spices (except any that are ground) until the fennel seeds start to darken and you can smell their fragrance
  • Transfer ground from the pan to a bowl or similar and allow to cool. Don't allow term to cool in the cooking pan because they will continue to roast/toast and may burn.
  • When cool, add to a spice grinder and blend until well ground. Put through a sieve and regrind anything leftover.
  • As always store in an airtight container

Back
Top Bottom