TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:49 PM
HOMEMADE CROUTONS
Makes however many you want

Ingredients & Method:
Heat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Take a couple of thick slices of bread* and cut (gently) into crouton-sized cubes and put into a mixing bowl.

Sprinkle over some black paper, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Just eyeball it and give it a toss to distribute. Use whatever spices you prefer.

Add in a bit of olive oil, just eyeball it. Toss until bread is coated in oil.

Onto the sheet pan in a single layer, and into the oven for about 15 minutes, turning the croutons over halfway through. Keep an eye on them because they'll burn quickly.

*I used fresh homemade bread, which yielded a very delicate crouton. If you prefer, you can use old bread. Supermarket sandwich bread will also work, just adjust the bake time a bit - they'll bake faster.

I do mine pretty much the same way, except I use a large oven safe skillet, heat the oil a bit, add the spices, stir, then toss in the bread cubes (I keep dark and country style bread in the freezer for croutons), stir, then straight into the oven.

I do mine pretty much the same way, except I use a large oven safe skillet, heat the oil a bit, add the spices, stir, then toss in the bread cubes (I keep dark and country style bread in the freezer for croutons), stir, then straight into the oven.
I used to do that, but for me, I found the oven method to be a little more hands-off. With the skillet, I was tossing and tossing and tossing.

Same thing with toasting nuts. I used to do them in the skillet, now I do it in the oven.

I used to do that, but for me, I found the oven method to be a little more hands-off. With the skillet, I was tossing and tossing and tossing.

Same thing with toasting nuts. I used to do them in the skillet, now I do it in the oven.
My understanding of medtran49's post is she just uses one skillet to toss the bread and seasonings and then straight into the oven.

The only difference is you use a mixing bowl unless I'm misunderstanding both of you (possible ;-).

My understanding of medtran49's post is she just uses one skillet to toss the bread and seasonings and then straight into the oven.

The only difference is you use a mixing bowl unless I'm misunderstanding both of you (possible ;-).
Nope, it's me. I'm an idiot.

Nope, it's me. I'm an idiot.
No comment. :D J/K.

I do my nuts in the skillet because I invariably forget and they burn in the oven.
Yes, all in 1 pan. No cookie sheet to wash, or foil or parchment to throw away.

I sometimes use a little butter besides the oil, but not always. Doing them in the skillet in hot oil gives the toasting process a good start.

Back
Top Bottom