karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
10:42 AM
You will need:
1 kg of unsalted butter and
A medium to large saucepan

Method
  1. Put all the butter in the pan and heat - medium - until the butter has completely melted.
  2. Keep heating until the butter begins to "erupt", then lower the heat to between low and medium. A white foam will appear on the top.
  3. DO NOT STIR! However, when the foam begins to change colour on top, remove it gently with a slotted spoon.
  4. Keep cooking the ghee for about 40 minutes. There will be less foam on top and you will begin to see solid particles on the bottom of the pan. DO NOT STIR!
  5. When the ghee is golden brown and the particles on the bottom begin to brown, your ghee is ready. It should smell gloriously nutty and buttery.
  6. Filter the ghee (through a coffee filter) into clean, sterilised jars, leaving the solids in the bottom of the pan.
  7. The ghee will be a beautiful golden brown - so close the lid on it. Tomorrow, it will solidify a bit and turn primrose yellow. Not to worry; as soon as you put a tbsp in a hot pan, it will return to a golden brown.
  8. Allow to cool and then store in a cool dry place. There´s no need to put it in the fridge; I keep mine in the closet and it never goes off. 75943

I really must do this!
Be careful. Once you make this you will be hooked. I've made my own now for over 30 yrs. I also make a brown butter mayonnaise anytime I'm making ghee, waste not want not because that caramelized milk protein in the bottom is all gold. :)

Yep, I always make mine like this too. Ghee is indecently expensive here in my country.

Back
Top Bottom