Homemade Hotpockets?

Katie Cha

Veteran
Local time
8:26 PM
I don't know if you've heard, but Nestle USA issued a recall of Philly Steak and Cheese because they may contain meat that has already recalled. Gross! I've been thinking of making my own hot pockets. I would like to start with veggie ones and then try some beef or turkey meat.

It would be more happier if you share the making of this recipe. It would be convenient for us to give a try to the recipe which you are eager to make.

I haven't heard about this recall. There's much too much of this kind of thing going on lately!

When it comes to homemade hot pockets, I made something a few weeks ago that was almost like it... the bread part was frozen dinner roll dough (I used Rhodes.) Now, note this wasn't frozen dinner rolls already baked, but the kind where you have to let the dough rise and bake them yourself. I let them thaw and rise... then punched for a second rise. After that, I just spread the dough out, added my filling, and pulled the edges over to make a little pillow and baked.

My filling was cabbage and meat, etc. but I don't see a reason why any kind of filling you want wouldn't work. I wouldn't use anything liquidy, but bbq'd meat or poulty, veggies with cheese sauce, all kinds of fillings like that should work great.

Empanadas anyone?

There are many different cultures with foods that resemble the hot pocket. Whether it be spanikopita, empanadas, panzerotti, or samosas, there are loads of options for both the covering and the fillings. If there is a type of dough that you know how to do well, make it and be creative with the fillings. Certainly vegetarian is an option, but so are meats and cheeses. Unfortunately I am horrible with pastry so phyllo is my fallback as I can buy it ready to use.

I love only simple recipe of empanadas. What makes it more appealing to me is with full of cheese fillings! Yummy!!!

I think the dough is what would be tough to get just right. I tried making something similar to these myself one time and they didn't come out very good at all. I bought some Goya brand empanada shells in the frozen section of my supermarket. They were much denser and heavier than traditional pie crust dough. I wanted to try and just "bake" the empanadas instead of deep frying them - which is where I screwed things up. The dough must be meant to fry only, because it didn't puff up at all from the baking, and remained dense and hard as it cooked. I needed a fork and knife to even try and cut into it, it was so hard.

I'm thinking store bought pastry dough would be too oily and flaky and wouldn't hold up to the freezing well. But I'm at a loss of what other dough to try. Perhaps pizza dough.

I recently made my own cheaper and healthier version of the "hot pocket". Eggs, milk and a bit of lard in a dough filled with ham, goat cheese and mustard. They were big, extremely tasty and filling. Two of those were more then enough for lunch, and from the ingredients that I bought, I made about 8 pockets.

Great suggestions, everyone! I totally forgot about empanadas, I live in South Texas, and they are at many restaurants. The dinner roll idea was great, and I have Phyllo dough in the fridge, I may just have to try making something. :)

Ew, no, I hadn't heard about that. I don't usually buy that kind of product anyway, but it still kinda grosses me out that a food which was already recalled ended up in another food anyway.

And as for making your own, it's really easy! I just use a regular bread dough for some pockets. For any pizza related ones, I usually go with my favorite pizza dough instead, and they're quite yummy.

I don't know if you've heard, but Nestle USA issued a recall of Philly Steak and Cheese because they may contain meat that has already recalled. Gross! I've been thinking of making my own hot pockets. I would like to start with veggie ones and then try some beef or turkey meat.
I would love to know how they turn out if you attempt making hot pockets. I like to take food that's processed and try to find a way to make it from scratch at home. I love hot pockets, but I haven't had one in a really long time! :)

Back
Top Bottom