Homemade pasta

Roger Burton

Local time
2:02 PM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, I thought I’d try making tagliatelli, I don’t have 00 flour (though could probably pop out and get some) but read a recipe for a mix of regular and semolina, I thought this a little odd my semolina is not very fine … ok not sand but a course texture compared to flour, are their different ‘grades’ or is the graininess what is wanted ? Many thanks R

Your good to go, semolina is all the same texturally. Semolina is a durum wheat product and most comes from the middle east, it's a wheat with a high gluten and protein content which is perfect for mostly dry pasta, and pretty much all dry pasta from Italy for example is just durum semolina wheat.

As far as making pasta at home most will actually be classified as a noodle because eggs are used and in that regard the 00 is preferred. Personally I use AP (all purpose) and it's fine. You can add a percentage of durum semolina to your recipe, but I don't see the advantage personally.

That’s good you garlichead, the only comment that made semolina appeal was the suggestion that it improved the texture (bite) and added a little colour … but I might give AP a go …

Your good to go, semolina is all the same texturally.

I beg to differ - I have two types: fine semolina (which I have used for pasta when mixed with flour) and coarse semolina. Fine semolina is better for making pasta, in my experience.

Example from Sainsburies supermarket

Interesting MG … I have decanted my Semolina so I don’t have reference to the texture, it’s certainly finer than table salt but certainly not like flour. I’ll probably go for plain flour …

Yes- I just went down to the fridge to post a pic like that, but you beat me to it :happy: :happy:
Pasta secca ("dried" pasta) is made with durum wheat (semolina) flour and water; pasta all´uovo is made with eggs, but you can use good OO flour or a mix with semolina. However you make it, it´s a labour of love, and freshly made pasta always tastes better to me, although good quality dried pasta - something like the Di Cecco brand - is also excellent.

Thanks for the image MG … I think I have the coarse … seems it’s useable for pasta, as mentioned before it seems it adds some bite, I’ll go mad and try both, good of you all to take the time, what a great resource this group is :)

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Thanks for the image MG … I think I have the coarse … seems it’s useable for pasta, as mentioned before it seems it adds some bite, I’ll go mad and try both, good of you all to take the time, what a great resource this group is :)
You´re very welcome, RB. Cooking is all about running the recipe down the hill and seeing if the wheels fall off. Or not!

We were going to make pasta last Sunday. Got busy and time got away from us.

Back
Top Bottom