Honesty boxes..

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:20 AM
About a 15 min drive from me there's a wee stall on the side of the road, it's honesty based with prices and a steel tin for paying. I got some things today and paid with change. These are so fresh and the guys property looks to be about 5 acres with a few greenhouses on it. It's good as it's on the way to my sons place so I'm going past anyway. Wife does normal shop but I like to get specials. Pumpkin was only $2. Cheap as chips. Some of ours have cameras on the stall as well. Place I get my potatoes from is also honesty. This guy has about $1000 worth of product on pallets in the yard. Do you have honesty boxes????

Russ

Yes - we do get them out in the countryside around here - people put home-grown produce at their front gates with honesty boxes. Also there are one or two farm shops with out of hours 'outdoor' stalls.

Unfortunately all the honesty boxes around here have been stolen.

Some years ago, the puyai baan (village head man) gave each household a rubbish bin (which was probably an old chemical container). A week or so later, some reprobate stole all the lids overnight.

Question: When you pick your own (say strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, etc.) do you assess the quantities that you've already eaten during the picking and advise the seller when you settle the bill?

Question: When you pick your own (say strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, etc.) do you assess the quantities that you've already eaten during the picking and advise the seller when you settle the bill?

Place here just before Xmas you can go pick your own peas. You pay X amount and they give you a bucket. Wife always goes, she takes grandkids as well and they all have as much as they can eat plus the bucket. We grow our own as well but wife likes to pick peas with the grandys.

Russ

Lots of honesty boxes around my way. Eggs majnly but also flowers and fruit/veg. Haven't seen any home made jams/chutneys.

For the last few weeks, there has been something called a Garden Produce Exchange where I work. The name is unfortunate, because it suggests that people who grow cucumbers can swap them for someone's homegrown tomatoes. I was disappointed, because I had nothing to exchange: I have been known to kill plants (accidentally), and I've certainly been known to eat them, but successfully growing them requires more time and patience than I have.

I happened to be walking by the building where they had the Exchange going on, and I found out that they also accepted cash "donations" from the gardening-inept like me. I got some sage, very red jalapeno peppers, and various squash, and some honey that someone harvested.

I'm sure I paid more than I would have at the market, but it felt good. I always feel bad when I'm in a "donation" situation: I don't want to appear to be stingy. If it had been an honor system situation (with no one there to accept the payment), I probably would have paid the same amount.

Lots of honesty boxes around my way. Eggs majnly but also flowers and fruit/veg. Haven't seen any home made jams/chutneys.
When we were staying in a rented cottage in Suffolk, the people directly across the road from us had an honesty box out for jams and chutneys. Had we been there longer, we'd have grabbed some.

For the last few weeks, there has been something called a Garden Produce Exchange where I work. The name is unfortunate, because it suggests that people who grow cucumbers can swap them for someone's homegrown tomatoes. I was disappointed, because I had nothing to exchange: I have been known to kill plants (accidentally), and I've certainly been known to eat them, but successfully growing them requires more time and patience than I have.

I happened to be walking by the building where they had the Exchange going on, and I found out that they also accepted cash "donations" from the gardening-inept like me. I got some sage, very red jalapeno peppers, and various squash, and some honey that someone harvested.

I'm sure I paid more than I would have at the market, but it felt good. I always feel bad when I'm in a "donation" situation: I don't want to appear to be stingy. If it had been an honor system situation (with no one there to accept the payment), I probably would have paid the same amount.

I'm sure you could grow something, tomatoes and lettuces are so easy.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom