Retro Recipe Honey Date Bars

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:02 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Another from the same Cookery Pullout of the Woman magazine September 26, 1959.

Ingredients
3oz plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
4oz chopped cooking dates
2oz chopped nuts
2 eggs
2 oz melted butter or margarine
4 large tablespoons thick honey
2 oz sifted icing sugar

Method
  1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt in mixing bowl, add dates and nuts.
  2. Hollow out the centre and add eggs, fat and honey. Stir until well blended.
  3. Pour into a greased swiss roll tin and bake in moderate oven (375F, Regulo 4) for about 1/2 hour or until golden and firm.
  4. Leave until cold, then cut into bars.
  5. Dip ends into icing sugar. Makes 16.

Not into bars, but what surprises me is that they made bars way back then!! I don't recall seeing any bars until maybe last 20 years.

Russ

This recipe has nothing to do with energy or sports bars, it is simply a style of cake, nothing more. Christmas cake if you think about it has very similar ingredients, as does Dundee cake, sponge with nuts and dried fruit in it, and a lot of sugar.

Yeah, I get that, just use of the word "bars" which I associate with energy, fruit, muesli bars.

Russ
I think you may need to give it a little lea way being a retro recipe. After all it was 1959. they could have made 32 very small squares or gone with the word slabs which tends to be associated with thick and heavy fruit cakes... rounds would have been like fruit scones or cupcakes (as we know them now). If they had been called muffins, well and English muffin is something totally different, but I run a mile from anything called muffins even in my vegan café!

Back
Top Bottom