Hospital food

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:04 PM
[Mod.edit: This post copied from another thread and following few posts moved here to form new topic (MG)]

Hospital cafeteria breakfast:

Well, at least the bacon was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have I missed summit?

Ruds
No, I had to run into the hospital for a blood draw. I've lived here for over 16 years, and I've been to that hospital for one thing or another probably 25 times (not as an inpatient), and every time I'd wander down to the cafeteria, it would be closed, so it's become a bit of a quest of mine that every time I'm in there, I check to see if the cafeteria is open, and today...it was.

It was not worth the wait. :laugh:

View attachment 67753

That would be a dream breakfast in our hospitals here..

All I was able to get for breakfast during my many stays has always been bread or crackers/some type of spread or cheese or lunchmeat, yoghurt, tea coffee and milk. Nothing hot, no fruit or veg. It's pretty terrible here.

Last edited:
No, I had to run into the hospital for a blood draw. I've lived here for over 16 years, and I've been to that hospital for one thing or another probably 25 times (not as an inpatient), and every time I'd wander down to the cafeteria, it would be closed, so it's become a bit of a quest of mine that every time I'm in there, I check to see if the cafeteria is open, and today...it was.

It was not worth the wait. :laugh:

Our main private hospital "cafeteria" is very good and reasonably priced. In fact, being easily accessible from the street, it attracts the general public who have no business with the hospital.

That would be a dream breakfast in our hospitals here..

All I was able to get for breakfast during my many stays has always been bread or crackers/some type of spread or cheese or lunchmeat, yoghurt, tea coffee and milk. Nothing hot, no fruit or veg. It's pretty terrible here.
I should be clear, that was from the cafeteria, so this is food available to visitors and workers, not for patients.

It consisted of reconstituted eggs, a baked-from-frozen biscuit (that was room temp and hard), cold tater tots, and bacon. That cost $5US (including some extremely bitter coffee).

The bacon was actually quite good, but the rest was very much below standard.

Our main private hospital "cafeteria" is very good and reasonably priced. In fact, being easily accessible from the street, it attracts the general public who have no business with the hospital.
The hospital my wife goes to is like that. It's more like a luxury hotel than a hospital (minus all the sick people). They have a fully-equipped gym on-site, a cinema, a main cafeteria that makes photo-worthy meals, and several smaller food & coffee outlets all around.

When she was first admitted years ago, I laughed at her hospital meal service, because I remembered my mom being in the hospital, and they just brought her a standard meal in line with her treatment at a set time. She had no say in anything.

For my wife, once she got to her room, she had a nicely-presented menu filled with choices, and she could eat whenever she wanted between certain hours, and all she had to do was call the food service number and order her meal, just like getting room service in a hotel.

I've been in two hospitals in the last five years. One in McKinney (that my docs prefer), and one in Frisco. The one in Frisco was more like the "luxury" hospital TR described. They allow choices in Frisco for food, within boundaries set by your doctor. In McKinney, your food just shows up. In December when I was in the McKinney hospital for surgery, they brought me a plate of chicken breast that I couldn't chew. My shoes were more tender.

CD

I've been in two hospitals in the last five years. One in McKinney (that my docs prefer), and one in Frisco. The one in Frisco was more like the "luxury" hospital TR described. They allow choices in Frisco for food, within boundaries set by your doctor. In McKinney, your food just shows up. In December when I was in the McKinney hospital for surgery, they brought me a plate of chicken breast that I couldn't chew. My shoes were more tender.

CD

I've spent one night in hospital since my mother brought me out after a short stay in 1948/9. It was here in Thailand and I was given boiled rice for dinner (I didn't stay for breakfast). Boiled rice is akin to rice soup and mine apparently had pork in it (although I didn't find much evidence of it).

[Mod.edit: This post copied from another thread and following few posts moved here to form new topic (MG)]

View attachment 67820

If you were a in patient on a diet & upstairs, Guess what? no bacon, no sugar & no salt. When I'm admitted, no sugar, butter & no regular soda. Only diet soda & no salt. I can have meat, but nothing salty. As a matter of fact, I'm resticted from ordering certain foods. The nurses on your floor give the kitchen the scoop about your diet, so they ban you from having certain things. 😡

When I am an inpatient, I usually get nothing to eat or drink for at least the first 6 hours until I get the all clear from my blood tests. Because I have a GI condition , if they have to perform surgery or a kind of scopy I must be off food and drink for at least 12 hours. That used to be 24, but since I have no more colon to cleanse it has become shorter.
Being off food for that long I can manage, but not drinking is really hard especially since I dehydrate fast without a colon. I really don't like that.
If you have special dietary requirements a doctor will also inform the kitchen of that, and you will be given adapted meals. A vegan diet is hardly doable however in most Dutch hospitals, vegetarian food is usually all that is offered and the menu selection as stated in my earlier post is abysmal. There are seriously volunteer organisations (!) that bring fruit and veg to hospitals because there isn't much on offer for patients due to budget cuts!
I always really disliked the hospital food, it was usually exactly the same as airplane food just without the salt..

When I am an inpatient, I usually get nothing to eat or drink for at least the first 6 hours until I get the all clear from my blood tests. Because I have a GI condition , if they have to perform surgery or a kind of scopy I must be off food and drink for at least 12 hours. That used to be 24, but since I have no more colon to cleanse it has become shorter.
Being off food for that long I can manage, but not drinking is really hard especially since I dehydrate fast without a colon. I really don't like that.
If you have special dietary requirements a doctor will also inform the kitchen of that, and you will be given adapted meals. A vegan diet is hardly doable however in most Dutch hospitals, vegetarian food is usually all that is offered and the menu selection as stated in my earlier post is abysmal. There are seriously volunteer organisations (!) that bring fruit and veg to hospitals because there isn't much on offer for patients due to budget cuts!
I always really disliked the hospital food, it was usually exactly the same as airplane food just without the salt..

They put me on a liquid diet if I'm scheduled for surgery the next day. Then, nothing to eat until after surgery. After being brought back upstairs When the gall bladder surgery was finished, I was too groggy, in pain & sleepy to eat anything, so they let me sleep. :whistling:

Last edited:
They put me on a liquid diet if I'm scheduled for surgery the next day. Then, nothing to eat until after surgery. After being brought back upstairs When the gall bladder surgery was finished, I was too groggy & sleepy to eat anything, so they let me sleep. :whistling:
I had to wait 4 days before eating after my last surgery, it's what you get when they remove your colon. After those 4 days I had a liquid diet for 2. Great way to lose weight :whistling:

Usually after surgery my desire to eat is gone. Liquid diet is ok imo, especially when you can have broth

Back
Top Bottom