Hosting a 16 Person Dinner

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
2:04 AM
Next month, SEP 7th to be precise I'm hosting a 16 player dinner/poker party (the poker will actually go for two days lol).

I've decided that I'm serving Taco's. I'm off on the 7th and will be able to get all the prep work done ahead of time.

I'm going to keep a running list of ingredients in the OP. Please make suggestions if you see that I missed something. I may take the suggestions and I may not. Please don't be offended.

Also, I would like suggestions on quantities that I'll need.

I'm going to offer chicken tacos, beef tacos, and veggie tacos.

boneless chicken breasts
ground beef
Fresh Cilantro
Fresh Basil
Tomato's
Jalapenos
onions
lettuce
Avocados
black olives
black beans
salsa
sour cream
tortilla's
hard shells
limes
cheese
rice

(lol, what's a veggie taco in a taco bar? Just the same fixin's otherwise available, minus the meat?)

Yes. However I might roast some Prize winning Moroccan Cauliflower for the veggie tacos.

I will definitely have a few different levels of salsa. I probably won't do pork. Ground taco beef is easier :)

Sounds like you have all your bases covered, but here are some ideas to add in, or serve on the side.

Layered salad
Black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, red and green bell peppers, torn romaine lettuce, topped with broken tortilla chips and served in a clear trifle bowl. Folks can serve themselves.

Ceviche

Spanish rice

Refried beans

Pico de gallo

Avocado Crema - mashed avocado mixed with sour cream and lime juice.

(Mango) slaw.

Dessert
Dulce de leche ice cream
(Mexican) brownies
Churros

Last edited:
Is this going to be served as a snack or as a meal? I'm inclined to estimate 8 ounces of meat per person - even if you know some of them are vegetarians - meaning 4 pounds of ground beef and 4 pounds of chicken. Add in maybe 4 pounds of cheese. That's not a horrendous amount. You might as well get 5 pounds of each. Some other ideas:
  • You'll probably want a few bags of tortilla chips.
  • Get some premade salsa to make things easy on yourself.
  • Make a simple guacamole by mixing salsa with avocado.
It also depends on what your plans are for the avocados. If they're just going to be cut up and added to the tacos, then I'd also figure on 5 avocados. If you're making guacamole, double that amount. Figure on a comparable quantity of sour cream.

Layered salad

A layered salad is a great idea. Thanks. I don't know if time will permit it. If it does I will definitely make it.

Dinner

4 pounds of ground beef and 4 p
ounds of chicken

Thanks, this is where I needed the most guidance.

• You'll probably want a few bags of tortilla chips.
  • Get some premade salsa to make things easy on yourself.
  • Make a simple guacamole by mixing salsa with avocado.

I have a friend bringing the chips. I definitely was going the pre made salsa route. I usually do a more in depth guac. I like this idea better for the occasion.

Thanks everyone who has responded so far.

B

Giggle onion bhajees, I make all the time, prepped then cooked when ready. Prep 15 mins. Cook 10 mins. Taste unbelievable. Simple and not many ingredients. Served with mint rhaita . Mine disappear as quick as I can cook them.

Russ

Giggle onion bhajees, I make all the time, prepped then cooked when ready. Prep 15 mins. Cook 10 mins. Taste unbelievable. Simple and not many ingredients. Served with mint rhaita . Mine disappear as quick as I can cook them.

Russ

Bhajees? We don't need no stinking bhajees!:roflmao: Sorry I just couldn't resist!:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom