Hot Red Sauce

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
8:16 AM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
On my first and only visit to Louisiana, many years ago (30+?), I was initially surprised and then constantly amused that a bottle of Tabasco was always on the table, or counter in a diner, almost as a replacement for salt and pepper which is what my world was accustomed to. Of course I developed a taste for it and have always had a bottle in the cupboard. Today, my new 350ml bottle arrived in the mail.
230106 Tabasco.JPG

I have included a bottle of wine in the picture for size comparison. Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (And at over £2 a bottle this is expensive). Unless you are in the US, is this normal?

Looking at the secondary label, we notice it has a Royal Warrant. I find it difficult to imagine the late Lizzie 2 adding a few drops to her scrambled eggs in the morning! I wonder if Charlie 3 also enjoys Tabasco and will continue the Royal Warrant.
230106 Tabasco (2nd Label).jpg

Is there a hot red sauce you prefer to Tabasco?

The big bottles are available in grocery stores down here.

I have a pretty good selection of hot sauces, including Tabasco. I like different ones for different foods.

CD

On my first and only visit to Louisiana, many years ago (30+?), I was initially surprised and then constantly amused that a bottle of Tabasco was always on the table, or counter in a diner, almost as a replacement for salt and pepper which is what my world was accustomed to. Of course I developed a taste for it and have always had a bottle in the cupboard. Today, my new 350ml bottle arrived in the mail.
View attachment 94910

I have included a bottle of wine in the picture for size comparison. Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (And at over £2 a bottle this is expensive). Unless you are in the US, is this normal?

Looking at the secondary label, we notice it has a Royal Warrant. I find it difficult to imagine the late Lizzie 2 adding a few drops to her scrambled eggs in the morning! I wonder if Charlie 3 also enjoys Tabasco and will continue the Royal Warrant.
View attachment 94911

Is there a hot red sauce you prefer to Tabasco?
The one I use the most is Frank’s “I put that 💩 on everything” Hot Sauce.

We have Crystal, Tabasco, Sriracha, and Cholula. Craig seems to enjoy them all.

Craig does buy some other hot sauce for Buffalo wings, but I don't remember what it was, other than it is mixed with an almost equal amount of melted butter.

Last edited:
I like almost any hot sauce unless it has MSG in it. Tabasco is a good product. I've also used Frank's and numerous other brands. I;m not keen either on those which have too much sugar added.

Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (

When I lived in Cairo for a year some 40 odd years ago I had this well travelled colleague there who was from Australia. He carried that miniature bottle inside his innner jacket pocket wherever he went, so he could could spice up hotel or even local food. So that is the reason!

We have Crystal, Tabasco, Sriracha, and Cholula. Craig seems to enjoy them all.

Craig does buy some other hot sauce for Buffalo wings, but I don't remember what it was, other than it is mixed with an almost equal amount of melted butter.

Frank's Red Hot and butter are (IIRC) the original combination at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

CD

I will note that down here in the US the Tabasco bottles don't have the notice about By the Appointment to Her Majesty ______ thing - (fill in the royal of your choice) going on with our bottles.

I guess most of the hot sauce bottles I see (Tabasco or otherwise) come in about 150 mL bottles.

My favorites right now are Chohula or Los Callientes. Frank's is good, too.

I agree I don't want the stuff to be too sweet.

I will note that down here in the US the Tabasco bottles don't have the notice about By the Appointment to Her Majesty ______ thing - (fill in the royal of your choice) going on with our bottles.

I guess most of the hot sauce bottles I see (Tabasco or otherwise) come in about 150 mL bottles.

My favorites right now are Chohula or Los Callientes. Frank's is good, too.

I agree I don't want the stuff to be too sweet.

Los Calientes is good. Do you watch their YouTube show, Hot Ones?

CD

Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (And at over £2 a bottle this is expensive). Unless you are in the US, is this normal?
Ocado sell it in 57ml bottles.....I think that's the standard size I've seen in supermarkets over here, I don't think I've ever seen any smaller ones? In any case, even the 57ml bottles are far too small to be practical (though I'm thinking that actually they might be good as a travel size one to keep in the motorhome). We buy ours from Costco - they only sell the 350ml bottles, can't remember the exact price but its around the £5-£7 mark :okay: We also get Franks Buffalo sauce from there - that one comes in a twin pack of 2x680ml and is a similar price to the Tabasco.

Apart from those, in the condiments cupboard we have Sriracha and chilli oil. And after the chilli harvest there's usually two or three different homemade hot sauces in the fridge.

Yes, I do. That's how I discovered this sauce. But I just about only watch it when the guest is someone I've heard of.

Yeh, me too. Sean Evens and his staff come up with great questions. Even the guests say so.

I can honestly say that I will NEVER buy a bottle of Da' Bomb.

CD

Back
Top Bottom