Sue Veed

Veteran
Local time
2:07 AM
My best confusion cooking occurred when I was pissed in both the UK and USA
meanings - rather inebriated, and annoyed at being ordered to produce a meal, late
in the day, when it wasn't my turn. I decided to churn out something so disgusting that
I'd never be put in this position again - ordinarily, I don't mind cooking, so long as I
know in advance and can plan a recipe, if it's destined to be something new. This one
had all manner of disparate ingredients thrown in for maximum stomach-churning
effect.

It was served with a frosty glare and an unspoken challenge to complain if you dare.
Against all logical expectation, it was delicious, and I've been asked, rather more
politely, to cook it a few times more. Good job I wrote down the ingredients and
method before too much more wine was consumed. A recent experiment of replacing
the maple syrup with pomegranate molasses tasted fine as far as I was concerned,
but Mrs Veed is adamant that the original recipe should be followed every time.

It's extraordinarily high in calories and cholesterol, and definitely not recommended for frequent consumption, but trust me, it's tasty.

HOT-SMOKED SALMON SWEET CHILLI PASTA

250 gm dry tagliatelle
~150 gm hot-smoked salmon (piece, not the thin-sliced type)
~25 gm butter
~2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
2 small red onions, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 heaped teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
~12 cherry tomatoes, depending on size
1 level teaspoon mustard powder
1 level teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
~50 gm grated or thinly sliced cheddar
1/2 glass white wine + 1 heaped teaspoon cornflour stirred in

Gently heat butter and oil, add onion and garlic, coriander and paprika.
Boil a kettle of water, use some to skin the tomatoes, keep the rest to cook pasta.
When the onions and garlic are soft, add tomatoes, mustard powder, black pepper,
fish sauce, maple syrup and sweet chilli sauce. Continue cooking gently until the tomatoes collapse. Add cheddar; keep stirring until melted.
Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle (in another pan!) for ten minutes or as advised on packet, and drain it.
Flake the salmon into the sauce, then add the wine and cornflour mixture.
Increase heat and keep stirring until thick. Add the drained tagliatelle, mix and serve.

Serves two hungry adults VERY heartily.

I can well understand your trepidation, but no joke, it actually tastes damn good - I made it again tonight, for the umpteenth time, at Mrs Veed's request. The cheddar was slightly stringy, rather than melty, probably a cheap lump from Lidl and not a good brand like Keen's or Lincolnshire Poacher, but quite OK for culinary purposes. As in any of my non-baking recipes, the quantities, and to a degree the ingredients can be treated as very much ad-lib, and intended as a starting (startling?) suggestion, make your own riff from there!

I can well understand your trepidation, but no joke, it actually tastes damn good - I made it again tonight, for the umpteenth time, at Mrs Veed's request. The cheddar was slightly stringy, rather than melty, probably a cheap lump from Lidl and not a good brand like Keen's or Lincolnshire Poacher, but quite OK for culinary purposes. As in any of my non-baking recipes, the quantities, and to a degree the ingredients can be treated as very much ad-lib, and intended as a starting (startling?) suggestion, make your own riff from there!

Not big on salmon, but sounds alright, btw our paths havnt crossed yet. As an aside I see where you are from, coincidentally I watched the movie Robin Hood last night, starring a kiwi. Russell Crowe.

Russ

Most of this recipe does seem very well-considered. I would skip the cheddar (and it's such a tiny amount anyway), and look for the pomegranate molasses instead of the maple syrup (or exclude it). But, I like how everything seems to play together.

coincidentally I watched the movie Robin Hood last night, starring a kiwi. Russell Crowe.
Robin Hood seems to be a story that never gets told well on the silver screen. The Russell Crowe version might be the best one I've seen, and it wasn't great. But, it beats the heck out of the latest one, with Taron Egerton: last year's edition was hilariously bad, with anachronisms like "machine-gun crossbows" during The Crusades (done to look like a battle in the modern-day Middle East) and police equipped in what looked like modern-day riot gear. But, it was just entertaining enough to keep watching, particularly to see what talented actors like Edgerton and Jamie Foxx would do with their dreadfully bad lines.

Back
Top Bottom