How do I get more sourdough starter?

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
8:28 AM
I follow the normal instructions and keep and use a certain amount of my mature starter and discard the rest as the guide says, but I always end up eventually with the same amount of starter in the end. What if I need more in the future? How do I increase my starter amount without throwing off the balance of flour, water, and mature starter? What if I need to bake 4 loaves of bread with my starter and I only have enough for 2? How do I keep it how things are now with my starter but just increase the overall volume? Would I just literally double the amount of what it tells me to do as long as I have the required amount of all the ingredients?

Pretty easy.

You know the stuff you dispose if each time you feed the starter? Well just put the same amount into a new sterile jar and duplicate what you do with the old jar when feeding.

To make twice the quantity of sourdough, you have 2 options and by far the easiest is to simply double everything.

Once you're starter is established and you're happy with it, a good tip is to set a spare going from the discarded culture at a feed and run the 2 alongside each other. Get the new one happy, then put it into the fridge and leave it alone. Feed it once a week or month and keep it just alive enough that it just ticks over in the fridge. It's there in case your actual starter gets infected with something it shouldn't and is ruined.

You can also freeze a small sample as a backup. I've not yet tested my frozen one though, so don't know how long it will freeze for. Again it is there as a backup. I might pull mine out during the next week or two and see if it has lasted.

Back
Top Bottom