How do you can?

LivetoErr

Veteran
Local time
6:17 AM
My father wants to start canning some of the homemade tomato soup we make but we don't really know how to go about it.

Our friends farm down here, in Mexico, and we can go to the tomato fields and get however many tomatoes we want. We, normally, go and take the waste which, unfortunately, gives us an abundance of tomatoes. We have been eating tomato soup for three weeks straight.

The problem is, we could take a whole lot more wasted tomatoes; we just don't have the room to store them. Normally, what we don't use we give to our neighbors in the village. However, if we could preserve some of the tomatoes we could use even more of the wasted ones.

Mason jars are hard to find down here so it would have to be canning. Dad's looked it up on the internet but isn't really sure how to get it all going.

There are some great guides on Foodie blogs and even in this forum. The US government even published a pdf file on the intro to canning. There is so much more to it than I thought. I want to start canning my own jams.

Back
Top Bottom