How do you cook your sausages?

I love plain beef sausages, not fancy flavoured ones. Fried in fat from bacon drippings. Skins are what ever? My friend (ex butcher) used to use synthetic casings. A sausage is so versatile, I love them with an English breky, stuffed sausys, cold in a sammich or eaten straight from the fridge. When daughter was here I cooked 6 up every week. We all ate cold or a sammich. I must take more out of the freezer,

Russ

I love plain beef sausages, not fancy flavoured ones. Fried in fat from bacon drippings. Skins are what ever? My friend (ex butcher) used to use synthetic casings. A sausage is so versatile, I love them with an English breky, stuffed sausys, cold in a sammich or eaten straight from the fridge. When daughter was here I cooked 6 up every week. We all ate cold or a sammich. I must take more out of the freezer,

Russ

I like both fancy and plain - assuming that fancy might mean merguez, andouille or chorizo?. Since those sausages work with the cultures they came from. I try (usually, but sometimes I just want the spice kick...) to cook them with respect to their various cuisines. Even the various German brats vary - and for some reason I don't consider them "plain"... or "fancy". - just their own thing.

I am interested in knowing the distinction you (and others here) make between "fancy" and "plain" sausages. When does seasoning (all sausages are seasoned) turn the curve? Is sweet Italian sausage fancy, or plain? Or is it its own thing? What category does one making one's own breakfast sausage fall into? Not trying to put you on the spot, Rascal, because I do get the versatility of sausage, and I do eat them the way you do, too, but desiring to know where this goes.

I like both fancy and plain - assuming that fancy might mean merguez, andouille or chorizo?. Since those sausages work with the cultures they came from. I try (usually, but sometimes I just want the spice kick...) to cook them with respect to their various cuisines. Even the various German brats vary - and for some reason I don't consider them "plain"... or "fancy". - just their own thing.

I am interested in knowing the distinction you (and others here) make between "fancy" and "plain" sausages. When does seasoning (all sausages are seasoned) turn the curve? Is sweet Italian sausage fancy, or plain? Or is it its own thing? What category does one making one's own breakfast sausage fall into? Not trying to put you on the spot, Rascal, because I do get the versatility of sausage, and I do eat them the way you do, too, but desiring to know where this goes.
My dividing line for sausages is breakfast versus other meals. There are sausages I eat for breakfast and only breakfast. They're call...wait for it...breakfast sausages. That's how they're labeled. Links or patties. Those are for breakfast and nothing else. Same with Mexican chorizo. Breakfast only for me.

Brats, knockwurst, mettwurst, kielbasa, Italian sausages, those are not-breakfast sausages.

The only sausages that are "all-purpose" to me are British bangers. They're good 24/7.

I don't have any distinction between fancy or plain, except maybe all the ones that are marketed as upscale "artisanal" sausages. I don't buy those.

My dividing line for sausages is breakfast versus other meals. There are sausages I eat for breakfast and only breakfast. They're call...wait for it...breakfast sausages. That's how they're labeled. Links or patties. Those are for breakfast and nothing else. Same with Mexican chorizo. Breakfast only for me.

Brats, knockwurst, mettwurst, kielbasa, Italian sausages, those are not-breakfast sausages.

The only sausages that are "all-purpose" to me are British bangers. They're good 24/7.

I don't have any distinction between fancy or plain, except maybe all the ones that are marketed as upscale "artisanal" sausages. I don't buy those.
Spot on TR. The line is crossed when the traditional sausage is fiddled with to make a trendy alternative. Personally, I don't even like the Cumberland sausage (added herbs), UK supermarkets are full of sausages with weird additives. Even at a respectable butcher last week, I was offered breakfast sausages with added marmalade. WTF?

I have to add one more category of sausages -- boudin. Pork and rice in a sausage skin. Good by itself, and as a side.

Boudin.jpg

SteakBoudin001.jpg

CD

When Ido a BBQ, I'll often tell my son to get a pack of sausages. He gets like apple and spice sausages, or tomato and pork or other strange fillings. Me I just like plain beef sausages. I used to watch my friend when he had a shop make them, preservatives and all sorts of powders went in. I like the smaller breakfast type ones as well for breky.

Russ

Back in the day a good friend from the Music Industry left the buss and started a sausage making factory near Dunmow. Without doubt his sausages were fabulous. But he was trying initial to retail them in the wrong area. I bought for tax reasons 45% and worked out a marketting plan. Based on aroma and double entendre.
With my cash injection we bought a fully fitted take away trailer. He visited different markets within a 50 mile radius and set up initially for the market guys who were setting up. The sausage barms flew out. When the shoppers visited he had a tray of samples and plenty of aroma from the frying pans. The cash flew in.Using the principles of impulse buying and you get what you pay for I increased his retail price by 40% to make them more expensive than marks and spencer.
Phases two.
I re branded them using Movie age certification. U for his mild English Breakfast sausage up to XXX for his extra spicy Merguez. Which I stylized with the logo "The sausage you always wanted in your mouth, but Mummy would not let you" I then got a friend from the press office at EMI to plant a story with the Daily Mail about how certain left wing councils in London had refused to let him tender for supply contracts because his sausages were not politically correct. The story ran, within six month he had bought me out in cash.

Back in the day a good friend from the Music Industry left the buss and started a sausage making factory near Dunmow. Without doubt his sausages were fabulous. But he was trying initial to retail them in the wrong area. I bought for tax reasons 45% and worked out a marketting plan. Based on aroma and double entendre.
With my cash injection we bought a fully fitted take away trailer. He visited different markets within a 50 mile radius and set up initially for the market guys who were setting up. The sausage barms flew out. When the shoppers visited he had a tray of samples and plenty of aroma from the frying pans. The cash flew in.Using the principles of impulse buying and you get what you pay for I increased his retail price by 40% to make them more expensive than marks and spencer.
Phases two.
I re branded them using Movie age certification. U for his mild English Breakfast sausage up to XXX for his extra spicy Merguez. Which I stylized with the logo "The sausage you always wanted in your mouth, but Mummy would not let you" I then got a friend from the press office at EMI to plant a story with the Daily Mail about how certain left wing councils in London had refused to let him tender for supply contracts because his sausages were not politically correct. The story ran, within six month he had bought me out in cash.

Great story.
Russ

Phases two.

Great story. It wasn't the Giggly Pig company by any chance? They frequent the markets around that area these days - assuming you mean Dunmow in Essex.

It wasn't the Giggly Pig company by any chance?
No, from memory this was early 80's. I can't even remember his proper name probably because he payed me back.I did mean Dunmow Essex.
I was also financially involved with Julian "Marquis" Russel in this 1970's venture The Great American Disaster in Chester pictured bellow. One of the first proper burger joints in the UK.His Italian dad gave him the middle name Marquis. So Jules left his first name off on then the first UK credit card Barclaycard. When we were asked to pay to get in London Clubs like Annabelle's Jules would exclaim Do you know who I am and flourish his card. He later went on to run Stringfellows and the Hipperdrome in London for Peter and opened Stringfellows NYC. Back in the day all were favorite haunts.

Back
Top Bottom