How do you eat your beets?

Local time
7:27 PM
When I was much younger, I can remember my mother cutting up beets and serving them raw. From what I can remember, they tasted quite nice in their raw state. As time went by, we had stopped using beets. I have only recently started eating beets again. However, I find that I have to cook them first rather than eating them raw, since I have been finding them to be quite difficult to use raw, unlike what I remember from years ago. I also realize that beets take a really long time to cook. I usually steam my vegetables in a steamer, so I guess that is why they seem to take forever to cook. If I put them straight into the water to boil, maybe that will get the job done quicker. Anyway, I have recently decided to cut them into smaller pieces when putting them to steam, so as to get them done more quickly.

So, how do you use your beets, raw or cooked? Do you put them in a salad or eat them separately?

When this came up before raw seemed a bit out of my comfort zone but in speaking to my sister I was reminded we had them raw (ish). It was her recollection that we grated them and added lime and maybe salt and pepper. It's sketchy but I like my beets cooked so I can experiment with any flavour. I have not bought any in a while but I always have some if I am eating out here in the mall.

Last edited:
I get canned pickle beets, which I use in my salads.

Beetroot (cooked) goes very well with tangy cheese in a sandwich or baguette. It's great in a leafy salad as well and of course as part of a borsch, veggie in my case, but each to their own.

My local greengrocer has been selling goolden beetroot lately. This is quite sweet, but an interesting option.

I liked pickled beets. That is my favorite way to prepare and eat them. I don't mind them steamed though but if I have them that way I have to have them with lots of butter and salt so I don't usually do them that way.

There was a thread about this earlier Beetroot There are also quite a lot of recipes posted. Just put 'beetroot' in the search box on the top left of the page.

This is what I said then:
Beetroot has become very chic. Chefs seem to love it! I'm a bit sceptical. Its strange combination of sweet and earthy tastes may well be its charm. But I reckon its also because the intense red adds such a dramatic dash to dishes. Don't get me wrong, I like it well enough. I think it needs to be paired with sour or salty ingredients for best effect: anchovies or capers or goat's cheese, for example. But, forget the idea of putting it in chocolate cake (and there are quite a few recipes for that!).

I like beetroot raw in a slaw with grated red cabbage,apple and an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Although I haven't had them for ages, they're very nice,just simply roasted,. Cooked beetroot goes very well with smoked fish and horseradish,or in a cheese salad

Well I grew up in Australia and there it's super popular on hamburgers! A lot of burger places will have an "Aussie Burger" that's usually characterised by a fried egg, bacon and beetroot on the burger!
Would that be raw beetroot ot pickled beetroot or just plain cooked?

Back
Top Bottom