How do you feel about generic brand spices?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
3:55 AM
I've always used the usual popular brands like Schwartz or Bart's, and sometimes I choose some of my spices from ethnic ranges such as East End or Rajah, at some supermarkets. Recently, I've found a fantastic independent retailer who sources all sorts of spices and unusual ingredients, and most are organic and/or fair trade too. They even put together some interesting blends for some popular dishes such as curries, tagines etc.

Where do you buy your spices?

I prefer to get my spices from my local independent health food shop, though for me local is a bit of a misnomer. They is nothing local about a shop that is 22 miles away! But I still purchase most of my herbs and spices from there, usual in a mass raid of the shop.
I have found that the independent shop tends to sell them more cheaply, in larger packages, and tends to be organic, plus has a much better range.
If I have to buy from my local supermarket then it is always refill boxes. The only exception has been garam masala for which I prefer Bart's.

I don't mind the generic brands from the oriental and Asian supermarkets , if it's used in authentic dishes it's good enough for me...:okay:

I grow herbs so I don't really use purchased dried spices for cooking unless it's something I can't get fresh like a blend for a curry or something like that. I do purchase one spice blend that I like a lot, it's called Spike. I get it at the health food store and it's not full of chemicals and preservatives. I get the salt free version.

I always by spices from Asian shops or in some cases Asian brands sold in the supermarket because they are so-ooo much cheaper. I mean really really much cheaper. Schwartz, Barts and the like are making a fortune with their small jars. The price difference is quite shocking. For example, in Tesco's a 35g jar of Cumin Seeds costs £1.65 and a 400g packet of Indus brand Cumin Seeds costs £1.50!

If you buy the Indus brand then you pay a fraction of the cost. Or put another way, Shwartz charges 45p per 10g and Indus charge just under 4p per 10g. Thats not just a mark-up, its daylight robbery. You'd have to have a serious fetish for fussy little jars to opt for buying Schwartz (unless there simply was no other option). Even if you only used 35grams of the Indus packet, it would still cost you less!

Here in Las Vegas, we have a lot of Hispanic and Asian markets. Not to mention the best of all, the International Marketplace. I buy all my spices at those stores. Not only are they way cheaper than the supermarket brands, I feel as if they are more authentic. They may not be more authentic, but the price difference makes the point moot. I also buy some things online. Two vanilla beans in a jar labeled McCormick or Schilling at the grocery store costs about $10.00. I can buy 12 vanilla beans on Amazon for the same price. I've never found any difference in taste by purchasing the cheap, unlabled (or at least unlabeled in English) brands as opposed to the well-known brands.

I'm definitely not a spice-snob -- honestly I can't tell the difference between a lot of name brand and generic products. I think a lot of the time they're all made at the same place anyway and the only difference is packaging and logos.

If I could taste a difference I would choose one over the other, but I've never had a problem with generic spices!

Back
Top Bottom