How do you make gravy?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:57 AM
JAS_OH1 and I touched on gravy.
I was bought up the way my mum made it, scraping vege bits left over from roasting pan, or leaving them in when contents were removed. Add a few from meat drippings and some water, mix a bit of flour with water, then whisk until it thickens. Add browning to darken it, add a teaspoon of vegemite. Sieve then serve.
This is not made for SCONES/BISCUITS

My version is a lot quicker and just as good. Scrapings vegemite and commercial powder we buy from commercial companies. Stir until it thickens.
This is the stuff I use

Russ

I just make a standard gravy, using meat drippings, a little flour, some wine, some broth, and some fresh herbs.

I've been known to use jarred gravy in a pinch, but I'll usually doctor it up with some wine and fresh herbs.

I also use Bisto, which has a special place, because I normally make that for certain things, even if I have all the makings for gravy. We both love Bisto on fries/chips, for example.

I just make a standard gravy, using meat drippings, a little flour, some wine, some broth, and some fresh herbs.

I've been known to use jarred gravy in a pinch, but I'll usually doctor it up with some wine and fresh herbs.

I also use Bisto, which has a special place, because I normally make that for certain things, even if I have all the makings for gravy. We both love Bisto on fries/chips, for example.

I bought a canister of Bisto about six months ago. I oned it to smell it, but haven't used any, yet. If all goes as usual, I will find it in the back of my pantry in a few years, and throw it away. Homemade gravy is just so easy.

I did try the HP sauce I bought at the same time. It is in the fridge, where it will stay until I finally throw it away. In fairness to the Brits, I don't like the American versions of what HP sauce is, like A1 Steak Sauce or Hienz 57, either.

CD

I bought a canister of Bisto about six months ago. I oned it to smell it, but haven't used any, yet. If all goes as usual, I will find it in the back of my pantry in a few years, and throw it away. Homemade gravy is just so easy.
Bisto is sort of its own thing, like no one would argue that a Big Mac is the best burger ever, but every now and then...you'll drive past all the gourmet burger places to get a Big Mac, just because nothing else tastes exactly like it.

Pan drippings, fresh herbs, sometimes a handful of chopped mushrooms. But to thicken, I was taught to mix cornstarch with some cold water in a small bowl or cup and then add this mixture to the gravy.
I did that the other day with the pot roast juices (which were mainly just beef broth and wine to begin with).

I started reducing it down, then got bored and stirred in the cornstarch slurry and it was done. 😎

Pan drippings, fresh herbs, sometimes a handful of chopped mushrooms. But to thicken, I was taught to mix cornstarch with some cold water in a small bowl or cup and then add this mixture to the gravy.

My mom always used a cornstarch slurry, too. It makes a good thickener, but the gravy is a little different.

CD

I'm afraid I use gravy powder or granules or cubes. I am the only one in my house who eats beef therefore I don't cook roasts as such. If the gravy needs thickening I use a cornflour slurry.

Pepper (green or black) or mushroom sauce for steak is different. I cook the sauce in the residue steak juices and fat incorporating yoghurt and Worcestershire sauce and brandy.

Gravy means different things in different cultures. In the UK gravy is almost always something that is brown in colour. Anything else is a sauce, really. In India, gravy is a spicy affair and there are various types. As far as I can tell, in India, the gravy is the 'liquid' part of a curry. But I've also seen reference to a range of Indian 'mother gravies' one of which is a white gravy. karadekoolaid might be able to elaborate on this.

Gravy means different things in different cultures. In the UK gravy is almost always something that is brown in colour. Anything else is a sauce, really. In India, gravy is a spicy affair and there are various types. As far as I can tell, in India, the gravy is the 'liquid' part of a curry. But I've also seen reference to a range of Indian 'mother gravies' one of which is a white gravy. karadekoolaid might be able to elaborate on this.
In New York, "gravy" is red tomato-based sauce for pasta.

Gravy?? What´s that??
Even though it has probably existed for thousands of years, the term "gravy" (or "gravé") first appeared in the UK in mediaeval times. Basically, the meat juices, skimmed of fat and salted.
I can remember my dad adding flour, a bit of liquid and salt to the meat juices. Since my mum couldn´t stand meat, she´d make Bisto gravy all on its own, sometimes embellished with a tsp of Marmite or HP sauce.
I´m on an Italian food site and a lot of American Italians talk about "gravy" for tomato sauce, as JAS_OH1 says.
As for Indian food, the only references I`ve seen about "gravy" are from Curry Houses, rather than authentic Indian restaurants. A basic "gravy" is prepared, then depending on whether it´s do piaza, jalfrezi, dhansak, vindaloo ,etc. additional ingredients and/or spices are added. The only imaginable "white" gravy I could think of is the basis for a classic Korma, so it would be onions, soaked cashew nuts, cream/yoghurt, something like that; classic Mughlai cuisine. There´s an anecdote that Shah Jahan ( that bloke that built the Taj Mahal) once ordered his brigade of chefs to make a totally WHITE dinner. Everything white. I bet that was a bigger challenge than facing off with Gordon Ramsay in Hell`s Kitchen!

Back
Top Bottom