How do you make your pizza base

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
11:05 AM
Do you use tomatoe puree or do you use your own tomatoes? Using puree is so much easier but its not natural compared to natural tomatoes and l'm stuck!:(

I use passata with basil, garlic, parley and sugar (1tsp per large pot) which is left to marinate overnight before being used on the pizza. If the passatta is not especially strong in flavour I will add some tomatoe pureee if I have some already open (which I usually do because we eat tomatoes a lot in our cooking).

I use tomato puree most of the times, but sometimes I use other tomato sauces seasoned in different ways.

These are pasta sauces such as bolognese sauce, four-cheese sauce and others that are also great as pizza base.

I don't see a problem with using a puree at all, if tomatoes aren't in season they aren't going to have anywhere near the flavor of their canned counterparts. Canned tomatoes are picked when they are perfectly ripe. I use puree as well, but check the label since many of them also include tomato paste in them (which is good, makes a richer sauce), but if they don't I will add some tomato paste to thicken it up. I generally make my pizza sauce a little spicier with some extra oregano and red pepper flakes. It needs some heat and tang to offset the creaminess and richness from the cheese.

Back
Top Bottom