How do you make your vegetables more appealing?

coffee

Veteran
Local time
6:20 AM
My husband and I are picky when it comes to vegetables, and sometimes we don't attempt to include them with dinner because of their lack of appeal. I have to really push for him to even include carrots in the slow cooker when he makes a roast. We generally use carrots, corn, broccoli, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, and onions.

Any suggestions?

I can't imagine a meal without veg!

Get the freshest produce you can - peas straight out of the pod off the pea bush are amazing and lovely and sweet (alternatively frozen is best). Cooked with a touch of mint and you have a wonderful side veg. Sweet potatoes cooked correctly are also delicious - cooked badly are awful. Mix veg in together with each other, so homemade mashed potato can be combined with swede, peas, sweetcorn, or even leafy greens such as spinach, kale, spring greens etc. Courgettes are wonderful fried - but make sure the oil is really hot before you fry them - the same for aubergine (today's lunch). You also dry fry courgettes as well.

Experiment - but stay away from canned veg, it is usually bland and tasteless ime!

I love veggies and think they greatly complement my meals, so I usually don't attempt to make them look more appealing. However my brother hates veggies, so whenever me and him go home to mom's house me and my mom will try to make the veggies look pretty so he will eat them, since he probably never eats any healthy foods when he is college!
What we usually do is try to set them up in a beautiful salad in a tray, with a yogurt dressing on the site, chop some cheese and chicken on top. Or if you want cooked veggies, try to make them into a pie, that always attracts the attention of those who hate vegetables.

We love vegetable and they are a really important part of your fiet. Another benefit is that the wide range of colors of vegetables makes meals more visually appealing. Try adding a healthy dressing to salad vegetables to add some extra flavor. Try incorporating vegetables into a meal rather than just serving them alone alongside some meat. Adding them to curries, casseroles and bakes means they will soak up the flavors from the meat juices and stock. If you want to serve the vegetables as side dishes there are a couple of things you can do to make them more interesting. Roasting vegetables in a little oil gives them a more intense flavor. Adding herbs or spices to vegetables gives them a completely different taste. Combining two or more vegetables together is also good. Try mashed carrot and swede or turnip with a knob of butter and seasoned with black pepper.

My husband and I are picky when it comes to vegetables, and sometimes we don't attempt to include them with dinner because of their lack of appeal. I have to really push for him to even include carrots in the slow cooker when he makes a roast. We generally use carrots, corn, broccoli, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, and onions.

Any suggestions?
It's so important to add vegetables to your diet, it helps in so many ways. I like to be healthy and that is really all the motivation I used to eat them. You can youtube vegan dishes and find lots of good looking vegetable options, but for me I don't worry about the appeal.

I'm also very picky about my vegetables as a vegetarian. I do like them as side dishes and to combine them so they can stand alone as a snack for example;
  1. Buttered peas and sweetcorn
  2. Sauteed mushrooms and spinach with onions
  3. Broccoli, peas and caramelized red onions
  4. Carrots and snap peas
  5. Potatoes with garlic butter, broccoli and peas
  6. Roasted peppers and parsnips with a tomato salsa

Back
Top Bottom