How do you poach your eggs?

I bought a set of those fancy OXO silicone egg poacher for "perfect" egg poaching. I haven't used it, yet. :scratchhead:

Anyone else have some they have actually used?

CD

I tried the no fuss method on the above link last night and it worked well, but at 3.5 minutes cooking time you have to serve immediately, and I do mean immediately, if you want runny egg yolks. If you let them sit for a couple of minutes while you finish plating, they continue to cook and you get slightly runny, jelly like yolks. That's the way I like them so it worked out well for me. So, if you need a short time lag between cooking and serving, I'd only cook them 3 minutes.

BTW, the no fuss method is bringing water only (no salt, no vinegar) to a low simmer, breaking the eggs into a cup, slipping them into the water, turning it off, covering and let stand for cooking time. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon, trim raggedy edges if desired, plate and serve.

I bought a set of those fancy OXO silicone egg poacher for "perfect" egg poaching. I haven't used it, yet. :scratchhead:

Anyone else have some they have actually used?

CD

So you mean this one:

I use the whirlpool method but the eggs must be very fresh. I have used the straining method before combined with whirlpool.

I've also always used the whirlpool method but I honestly didn't see any difference in the tendrils (except maybe slightly less with no fuss) with the no fuss versus whirlpool.

Break egg into saucer. Boil water, add enough to saucepan to cover egg. Bring water back to boil, add egg, reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes. Lift egg out with slotted spoon and serve with toast. Yum when it works.

Gillian

Yes! Exactly.

CD

I'll be interested to see how it works. I read some reviews about it and they are mixed. On the down side you have to boil a lot of water, more than if you were poaching in the normal way. Some reviews also say the diameter is to wide so the egg becomes flat. Others talk about lot of egg white escaping through the wholes and creating a complete mess!

I have also used the whirlpool method, but I use deeper water than the 1 inch indicated (more like 4 inches or so). I've done it a few times, and it works, but I'm open to trying some of the other methods.

I have also used the whirlpool method, but I use deeper water than the 1 inch indicated (more like 4 inches or so). I've done it a few times, and it works, but I'm open to trying some of the other methods.

I agree - 1 inch is too shallow. I use about 3 to 4 inches. It gets the 'whirl' going and makes sure the egg doesn't hit the bottom of the pan.

Back
Top Bottom