How do you season a wok? And why do you do it?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
8:15 PM
I was reading a blog article the other day and it mentioned seasoning a wok. How do you season a wok and why should you do it?

Well truth be told I never heard this one before. Since you brought it up I did a quick search and found quite a bit of information. I honestly have not been using my woks for a while. I feel like the last time I used at least one of them, my food was sticking to the bottom and I have not used it since. Maybe I did not season my wok. This is yet another thing I am learning. I have to spend some more time researching this. In the meantime look at some of what I found.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2007/08/when-cheaper-is.html

Thanks - that's interesting, and explains what the process is. I'd seen "dirty" woks in restaurants and wondered why they hadn't been cleaned properly - this explains it! :cook:

Presumably this is because woks are generally used for "flash" frying things?

to season cast iron pans and bun trays we call Yorkshire pudding trays in the uk,i heat them to a big temperature with table salt in them,and always heat them hot with oil in and never wash them after they are used,just wipe them out with a kitchen towel

Back
Top Bottom