How do you serve brussels sprouts?

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
3:56 AM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
Brussels sprouts seem like a food people either love or hate. I personally love them, but the majority of my household cannot tolerate them. I often just microwave frozen brussels sprouts, but my favorite way to prepare it is just roasted in some olive oil.

Do you like brussels sports? If so, what is your favorite way to prepare them?

I either roast or sauté halved fresh sprouts in olive oil, salt and pepper, and then toss them hot with some blue cheese dressing. If done just right, even my kids will eat them.

I think they are better on the stovetop but more time consuming. I often opt for the oven just to make it easier, but have overcooked them several times doing this.

Before I became allergic to cheese, we would cook the sprouts until they were almost cooked, then drain them, and put them under the grill with a layer of grated cheese and grill them until the cheese was hot, bubbling and almost starting to brown. It was delicious.

I love these. Although I am a huge fan of cabbages in general too. Normally I just steam them then toss with a little olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Nothing fancy.

But I was thinking about these a few weeks ago - if perhaps there was some way I could create a variation on stuffed cabbage with brussels sprouts. Maybe a soup or stew of some sort, with shredded or quartered sprouts, rice, ground meat, tomato sauce and chicken broth.

You might also be able to sneak them into a stuffing, along with the celery, onion and carrots.

My father would only eat sprouts if they were well boiled, then mashed with butter and pepper. While I love them like that, I am conscious of the extra fat from the butter, and the fact that by overcooking the sprouts you're losing texture and vitamins. I tend to just steam them, although at Christmas I usually stir fry them in a little olive oil with some smoked bacon lardons. They're lovely like that!

Incidentally, when I made my after Christmas vegetable soup with the leftovers, I chopped up the sprouts and added them to it, along with the remaining stuffing. It tasted just like a Christmas dinner soup, and it was wonderful. I'm going to experiment with sprouts in soup, because they do impart a different flavour.

My father would only eat sprouts if they were well boiled, then mashed with butter and pepper. While I love them like that, I am conscious of the extra fat from the butter, and the fact that by overcooking the sprouts you're losing texture and vitamins. I tend to just steam them, although at Christmas I usually stir fry them in a little olive oil with some smoked bacon lardons. They're lovely like that!

Incidentally, when I made my after Christmas vegetable soup with the leftovers, I chopped up the sprouts and added them to it, along with the remaining stuffing. It tasted just like a Christmas dinner soup, and it was wonderful. I'm going to experiment with sprouts in soup, because they do impart a different flavour.
make sure your soup recipes do not involve any mustard (of any kind, powdered or made up) if they include sprouts. We have found out to our 'cost' and much amusement that sprouts absorb mustard in soups and casseroles which makes for an interesting 'bite'!

make sure your soup recipes do not involve any mustard (of any kind, powdered or made up) if they include sprouts. We have found out to our 'cost' and much amusement that sprouts absorb mustard in soups and casseroles which makes for an interesting 'bite'!
Oh, I don't do mustard in any way, shape or form. Sounds interesting, though!

Oh, I don't do mustard in any way, shape or form. Sounds interesting, though!

I will try them with some bacon bits now. I am always nervous when I have to cook them. I feel like I either don't cook them enough or I cook them way too much.

Brussels sprouts seem like a food people either love or hate. I personally love them, but the majority of my household cannot tolerate them. I often just microwave frozen brussels sprouts, but my favorite way to prepare it is just roasted in some olive oil.

Do you like brussels sports? If so, what is your favorite way to prepare them?

I have a question, what's your suggestion on the best way to cook brussels sprouts? This is one vegetable that I have yet not tried to cook because no one eats them in my family. I eat all veggies, so I need to know for myself. Thanks!

I have a question, what's your suggestion on the best way to cook brussels sprouts? This is one vegetable that I have yet not tried to cook because no one eats them in my family. I eat all veggies, so I need to know for myself. Thanks!
steam them or boil them either works. When the have gone from the really bright green colour and are just starting to darken slightly, they are cooked. When they are really dark green they are over cooked.

I really like Brussels sprouts! I didn't when I was younger, but it's one of those foods that grow on you as your palate gets more sophisticated with age. I prepare them with either some olive oil or a tiny bit of butter just to make it softer. I usually steam it, but I like it when it's still slightly crunchy. I don't like it when it gets too mushy and soft.

My favorite what to cook brussell sprouts is chopping them up with some chopped up fennel bulb drizzled with butter, salt and pepper and baked!! My whole family (even the 4 year old) will eat them this way. The fennel just really amps the flavor.

I love roasting brussel sprouts in the oven with bacon, onions, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar! Just quarter the brussel sprouts, mix all the ingredients together, and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the sprouts are cooked. The outside leaves get crispy and caramelized, and the flavors work so well together.

Back
Top Bottom