How do you store your fresh baked goods?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:12 AM
How do you store your baked goods? I have been wrapping bread in plastic wrap - a royal pain and mold develops too quickly. We don't eat a lot of bread, a loaf every 5 to 7 days. I do love having fresh baked. I have been looking at bread boxes but would like your suggestons/opinions.
Thanks all.
BTW I did find yeast. I have one frozen "rise and bake" loaf left in the freezer. After that loaf I will work on perfecting scratch bread. We have gotten used to having fresh baked bread.

How do you store your baked goods? I have been wrapping bread in plastic wrap - a royal pain and mold develops too quickly. We don't eat a lot of bread, a loaf every 5 to 7 days. I do love having fresh baked. I have been looking at bread boxes but would like your suggestons/opinions.
Thanks all.
BTW I did find yeast. I have one frozen "rise and bake" loaf left in the freezer. After that loaf I will work on perfecting scratch bread. We have gotten used to having fresh baked bread.
Paper bag, in an enamelled bread bin. The weird thing about bread is that it seems to keep better if you leave it out on the bread board.

There's a similar topic on here from a couple of months ago, I think.

Anyway, over the years, I've gone around and around with this: plastic bags, in the fridge, wrapped in a towel, cut side down and left on the counter, paper bag, nothing really worked.

I finally did a little research and bought a proper old-style bread box, just an enameled box with some vents cut in it. According to the supplied instructions, bread should be stored in the box, And that's it. No bag, no sack, just toss it in the box and shut the lid. The vent holes allow just enough air to keep the bread soft without drying it out.

How does it work? Far, far better than anything else, that's for sure. I'm getting a week from a loaf of bread. Before that, three days, four days, tops. I think it's great.

Here's the one I got (from Amazon):

The maker is Now Designs, and it comes in different designs and different sizes. I paid under $30US for it.

Anyway, over the years, I've gone around and around with this: plastic bags, in the fridge, wrapped in a towel, cut side down and left on the counter, paper bag, nothing really worked.

I finally did a little research and bought a proper old-style bread box, just an enameled box with some vents cut in it. According to the supplied instructions, bread should be stored in the box, And that's it. No bag, no sack, just toss it in the box and shut the lid. The vent holes allow just enough air to keep the bread soft without drying it out.

How does it work? Far, far better than anything else, that's for sure. I'm getting a week from a loaf of bread. Before that, three days, four days, tops. I think it's great.

The maker is Now Designs, and it comes in different designs and different sizes. I paid under $30US for it.

That is one I was considering. Do you keep the bread wrapped in the rowel or is that a photo prop?
BTW - love that rustic table!

I keep bread in a plastic 'stay fresh' bag which is supposed to prolong life. I'm not sure where I got the bags from - maybe Amazon. Each bag is is re-useable. It works resonably well. Bread keeps fresh for almost a week but it does mean the crust goes soft. Mind you, I find that crusts go soft anyway...

I keep bread in a plastic 'stay fresh' bag which is supposed to prolong life. I'm not sure where I got the bags from - maybe Amazon. Each bag is is re-useable. It works resonably well. Bread keeps fresh for almost a week but it does mean the crust goes soft. Mind you, I find that crusts go soft anyway...
We have one of those too, it came from Lakeland. They do work, but as you say they do make the crust go soft. The taste and texture of the bread seems to change too.

That is one I was considering. Do you keep the bread wrapped in the rowel or is that a photo prop?
BTW - love that rustic table!
I did use the towel a first, just because psychologically, it feels wrong not to have bread wrapped in something. Now, though, I just use it to pad the bottom.

We bought that bench in England in the 1990's, somewhere in Oxfordshire, I don't remember where. It's a cobbler's bench by design. Here's a full shot:
I've straightened that up a bit since then. :)

That stand the microwave is on, to the right in the picture, was also bought in England, and is an old display rack from a bakery.

I did use the towel a first, just because psychologically, it feels wrong not to have bread wrapped in something. Now, though, I just use it to pad the bottom.

We bought that bench in England in the 1990's, somewhere in Oxfordshire, I don't remember where. It's a cobbler's bench by design. Here's a full shot:
I've straightened that up a bit since then. :)

That stand the microwave is on, to the right in the picture, was also bought in England, and is an old display rack from a bakery.
Love it. That cobbler's bench is a perfect working island - great surface and good storage. Nice.

The bread box you have is one I had my eye on. I just ordered it. :woot:I am excited. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am so easily amused.

Back
Top Bottom