How Do You Store Your Oils?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:55 AM
We've all been told that cooking oils are sensitive to heat and light, but every house I've been in (including my own), there are the oils, sometimes in clear bottles, sitting out on the counter, next to the stove - a bonanza of heat and light.

So, how do you store your oils? Safely away in a dark, cook place, or out in the open where they're handy?

As it happens mine are in a cupboard but that is because I try to minimise anything on the kitchen counter. Ideally I'd have nothing at all on the counters.

Nut and seed oils are stored in the fridge as they can go rancid over time. Since vegetable oil and EVOO get used up fairly quickly, they are kept in a cabinet with small amounts on the counter.

As it happens mine are in a cupboard but that is because I try to minimise anything on the kitchen counter. Ideally I'd have nothing at all on the counters.
Nut and seed oils are stored in the fridge as they can go rancid over time. Since vegetable oil and EVOO get used up fairly quickly, they are kept in a cabinet with small amounts on the counter.

Do either of you store them in oil dispensers, or do you keep them in their original bottles?

I have all mine (when I say "all mine," keep in mind that means canola oil, peanut oil, EVOO, and light OO :laugh: in differently-shaped dispensers, and some are too tall for cupboard storage. :(

Depends, if we get the HUGE jugs of oil from the restaurant supply, we use the tall square glass bottles with a pouring spout, otherwise we'd have hardly any counter space, besides the fact that it's nearly impossible to control the flow from the jugs, especially when they are anywhere near to full. If we get small bottles from the grocery, we don't usually bother transferring.

I keep two dispensers next to the stove. One has canola oil, and one has olive oil. Those two are out because I use them daily. I keep most of my oils in my pantry, which is large, relatively cool and dry. I keep sesame oil in the fridge.

I keep a couple bottles of Mobil-1 in the garage. :D

CD

All in a cupboard in the kitchen, apart from a pourer of rapeseed oil next to the cooker (gets re-filled most weeks) and bulk containers of rapeseed oil for the deep fat fryers are kept in the pantry.

All in a cupboard in the kitchen, apart from a pourer of rapeseed oil next to the cooker (gets re-filled most weeks) and bulk containers of rapeseed oil for the deep fat fryers are kept in the pantry.

Translation to Merican: Grapeseed oil next to the oven/stove. I've never been quite comfortable with the Yuripean name, "rapeseed."

CD

All in the a dark cupboard as I need the room on the worktop.

please forgive my ignorance, what is canola oil?

Canola oil is a vegetable oil similar grapeseed oil, but more neutral in taste, and with a lower smoke-point. It is a good, general purpose oil for sautéing because it doesn't alter the flavor of the food.

CD

Translation to Merican: Grapeseed oil next to the oven/stove. I've never been quite comfortable with the Yuripean name, "rapeseed."

CD
Doesn't grapeseed oil come from the seeds of grapes? Rapeseed oil comes from the seeds of the rapeseed plant, I think. I think canola oil and rapeseed oil are the same, just different names, but grapeseed oil is something else.

Doesn't grapeseed oil come from the seeds of grapes? Rapeseed oil comes from the seeds of the rapeseed plant, I think. I think canola oil and rapeseed oil are the same, just different names, but grapeseed oil is something else.
Rapeseed oil comes from the oilseed rape plant. It's not pleasant to live near when it produces pollen. Not sure where grapeseed oil comes from!
1594488951334.png

Back
Top Bottom