How do you thaw out meat to cook?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:32 AM
I usually put the meat in a bowl of luke warm water in vacuum seal bag & let it thaw that way before I cook it. How do you do it?

Last edited:
Some like to do it that way as well.

That is the best way for things like beef steaks and roasts, pork chops and other whole meats. It protects the texture of the meat.

I put vacuum sealed chicken and seafood into bowls of cold water to thaw quickly, and find no issues with taste or texture.

I've never put unpackaged meat in water to thaw (other than shell on shrimp, which came from water).

CD

That is the best way for things like beef steaks and roasts, pork chops and other whole meats. It protects the texture of the meat.

I put vacuum sealed chicken and seafood into bowls of cold water to thaw quickly, and find no issues with taste or texture.

I've never put unpackaged meat in water to thaw (other than shell on shrimp, which came from water).

CD

i meant to say IN PACKAGE. But I guess either way, it is still being thawed out. The weather will start to get warm soon, & by the summer, you don't want meat to be sitting out all day or part of the day not in any water!!:eek:

I thaw it in the fridge a day or two ahead of time.
Me too, it keeps the food at the right temperature to avoid bacteria growth. Freezing doesn't kill bacterial, it remains alive but on pause. As the food defrosts bacteria may start to grow again. The danger zone is 8 deg C to 63 deg C, so defrosting in the fridge (at under 5 deg C) keeps the food below the temperature at which some bacteria will grow. It also slows down others that will grow below 8 deg C. I avoid defrosting in the microwave as I don't trust it to defrost the food evenly.

Usually in the fridge, but I have thawed meat outside too, my family always did this and old habits die hard. If I'm in a hurry and forgot to thaw it, I will use the microwave.

Back
Top Bottom