How do you use plantain?

Local time
6:08 AM
How do you usually eat plantain? I like to have my plantain either fried or boiled. I would use it at the side of my dinner whether fried or boiled. I also use it as a breakfast treat along with fried or scrambled eggs. When I use it this way, it has to be fried. However, I have heard some people say that they can eat plantain in its raw state. I have never tried this. Even though I view plantain as family to the banana, I do not consider it as a fruit that I would eat without first cooking it.

So how do you prefer to eat your plantain?

That's actually one food that I've never cooked with! I always thought they were similar to bananas as you mentioned, but I wasn't aware they had to be cooked first. I'm not even sure if my local supermarket regularly has them in stock - I've seen them on the odd occasion though.

I slice them lengthwise and fry them until they become brownish. They make a good side dish for my Cuban inspired rice recipe. A good source of roughage and complex carbs.

That's actually one food that I've never cooked with! I always thought they were similar to bananas as you mentioned, but I wasn't aware they had to be cooked first. I'm not even sure if my local supermarket regularly has them in stock - I've seen them on the odd occasion though.
They are difficult to obtain here unless you live near an African shop or Afro Caribbean Market. Here's what Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has to say:

"Botanically speaking, bananas and plantains are almost the same thing – just slightly different cultivars of the same plant – but when it comes to cooking and eating, they're quite distinct. Bananas, as we all know, have tender, silky flesh and are irresistibly sweet and slightly floral – so good that we eat them raw without a second thought. We cook them only rarely (and should probably do so more). Plantains are much more starchy, much less sweet, and not at all nice raw. When cooked, however, their subtle sugars and delicately granular texture become very appealing, particularly if you season them with salt, pepper and a bit of spice. If you like sweet potatoes and parsnips, plantains will probably float your boat."

I'm not that keen on them (nor sweet potato). They are a bit sweet and starchy for my taste. But I used to live near a London market which sold them and I cooked them quite a few times. My favourite was Plantain fritters. I'll dig out the recipe and post it later.

Last edited:
Slice season and pan fry and serve with chicken livers and rocket salad and a sweet vinagerette
Nice one. The iron taste of chicken livers and a tang of vinaigrette - perfect foil for the sweetness of plantain. If I can get plantain I'll try it!

Last edited:
I love plantains! I usually just slice the ripe ones about a quarter of an inch thick at an angle and fry them. I've also tried baking them, but I can't remember what the result of that was, lol. I have had them boiled, and I like the chips from green ones. One of the restaurants here serves them with a garlic-ginger tomato sauce - yum!

My favorite way of eating plantain is the banana cue. We fry the plantain, whole, in a pan with sugar. The frying will melt the sugar and stick to the plantain. It is harvested when the color becomes brown - the sugar has caramelized so the plantain is now wrapped in caramel. It is the best bet for me. Some others prefer to slice the plantain in half then fry it plainly until it turns brown. Plain sugar is the dip when eating. And another way is to make it a sweet dessert by boiling in sugared water.

Back
Top Bottom