How long can you comfortably survive without food?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:28 AM
I like to eat and I like to cook so it is rare that I go a day without food. However, I sometimes do and I don't find it a major problem. (although a couple of beers can stave off the hunger).

My wife is completely different. If she doesn't eat at least three or four times a day she suffers withdrawal symptoms. Last evening she even ate my mushroom and sweetcorn soup - cold!

I go all day most days and eat in the evening. I do taste food that I'm cooking during the day though. I couldn't cook as much as I do if I had a full stomach.

@Yorky I am a self-admitted glutton! Extremely active physically as a young man, we played baseball nearly every day, eating and drinking untold amounts of calories, with no obvious adverse effects. Eating being as pleasurable as it is, such endeavor continued throughout my lifetime, while the degree of activity declined. I did not like gaining weight! My "scales" is a full-length mirror. At 25 I weighed about 160 lbs., much of it muscle. Today, 50 years later, I weigh 160 lbs., now much of it fat and bone. Weight management became a tug of war; once I realized it, I found I can go about daily activities all day long without eating. Then, a fairly large meal containing plenty of protein, and lately, a lot of plant fiber, eaten late in the evening, has kept my weight acceptable.

I'm told it's not healthy to eat this way. Nonetheless, all looks good "on paper", my CBCs have almost all measured quantities within range. I have thought about using "Glutton" (which is a small mammal so-named due to it's voracious eating habits) as my user name in some forums, but have not: everyone would then know who I am!

I usually eat twice a day, sometimes only once if I get busy and don't take time to eat, but I always feel really bad the next day when I do that so try not to. I'm up early, sometimes before 6, sometimes around 6:30. I got really sick about a year ago and didn't each much during that time, and have never really regained appetite fully.

I've never been an early morning breakfast eater, i'd rather shift meal times to 10am, 2pm, and 10pm but the world doesnt agree so i usually don't have breakfast, often skip lunch cause i don't have time and am starving by the time i get home from work often around 9:15pm but so hungry i can't decide what to eat and go sit down to think about it and fall asleep and wake up at 3 am and have a frozen burrito warmed in the microwave or a nuked potato.

This is my winter eating habits as our busy season is in the winter, come summer i teach less and usually get 2 meals at least for 5 days of week. And 3 meals each day on the weekend. I've lost a full pant size since my mother died a year and half ago cause i am missing meal times...mom isn't around to need cooked for so i often forget.

When I used to work for a living, the normal day began at 06:00 and did not end until at least 18:00. The canteen served breakfast at between 09:00 and about 10:30 and lunch/dinner between 15:00 and 16:30. I rarely bother with breakfast now but still eat my one meal/day around mid afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom