How long do you cook pasta?

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
1:26 PM
[Mod.edit: this post and several following posts have been moved to form a new thread (MG)]

How long do you cook your pasta? I have big issues with this because when I follow pack instructions for dried its always undercooked for me.
I generally go by feel if it's a long pasta like spaghetti otherwise I just pull one piece from the water and test it. Most recipes require additional cooking is sauces, which is pretty normal so you need to consider that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally go by feel if it's a long pasta like spaghetti otherwise I just pull one piece from the water and test it. Most recipes require additional cooking is sauces, which is pretty normal so you need to consider that.

Yeah, that is what I do. When it is close, I taste a bit. I do the final cooking of my pasta in whatever sauce I am using, too. I like my pasta to be nice and tender when I plate it.

CD

How long do you cook your pasta? I have big issues with this because when I follow pack instructions for dried its always undercooked for me.

It depends on the pasta and its length, but to have it 'al dente' (which also releases less sugar and is more digestible), you have to drain it at least 2 minutes before the cooking time marked on the package, although a taste test during its cooking is always necessary to be sure.

I personally have cooked the same format of pasta from different pasta makers and I have seen that each one is different. The penne of a certain brand cooks in 8 minutes flat and keeps a certain consistency that you hardly need to drain them al dente, while those of another brand cook in 10 minutes or even in the same time 8 mins, but they are slightly mushy. So in any case I always have a look and a taste during cooking.
A lot also depends on the quality of the wheat used to make and extrusion of pasta, the amount of water and the salt (which should never be added before the water boils but at the moment while you are adding pasta).

Last edited:
I personally have cooked the same format of pasta from different pasta makers and I have seen that each one is different. The penne of a certain brand cooks in 8 minutes flat and keeps a certain consistency that you hardly need to drain them al dente, while those of another brand cook in 10 minutes or even in the same time 8 mins, but they are slightly mushy. So in any case I always have a look and a taste during cooking.
A lot also depends on the quality of the wheat used to make and extrusion of pasta, the amount of water and the salt (which should never be added before the water boils but at the moment while you are adding pasta).

I find 20 mins or more with most pasta here (and that includes Italian brands). I probably simply don't like it too 'al dente'. Despite travelling a bit in Italy many moons ago I can't recall eating pasta while I was there. But from what I know, it tends to be served much more 'al dente' than I or people I know prefer. I'm not saying I want it really soft though...

Oh.My.God. You mean the pasta cooks in 20 minutes or you cook it in 20 minutes?
I find 20 mins or more with most pasta here (and that includes Italian brands). I probably simply don't like it too 'al dente'. Despite travelling a bit in Italy many moons ago I can't recall eating pasta while I was there. But from what I know, it tends to be served much more 'al dente' than I or people I know prefer. I'm not saying I want it really soft though...
I believe those are grounds for a criminal offence in Italy. :whistling:

20 minutes cooking time I am imagining a smashed pasta.
I'm wondering who these Italian pasta brands are for 20 minutes cooking for pasta. Oh.My.God.
It's not a matter of being al dente or not, it's that pasta just can't hold a 20-minute cooking time. There are types of pasta, especially short pasta (Paccheri comes to mind now) that have a cooking time of around 11 or 12 minutes, some may be close to 13 but I'm not sure, but never 20 minutes.

I find 20 mins or more with most pasta here (and that includes Italian brands). I probably simply don't like it too 'al dente'.
MrsT is another one who likes her pasta cooked a little past al dente, so I generally go two minutes pat what the box says, then finish it in the sauce.

There's a meme somewhere titled "How To Pi$$ Of An Italian," and one of the items is to overcook the pasta.

Another was a favorite habit of my MIL - ice cubes in wine. I don't care what wine she had, she put ice cubes in it. Always. :whistling:

20 minutes cooking time I am imagining a smashed pasta.
I'm wondering who these Italian pasta brands are for 20 minutes cooking for pasta. Oh.My.God.
It's not a matter of being al dente or not, it's that pasta just can't hold a 20-minute cooking time. There are types of pasta, especially short pasta (Paccheri comes to mind now) that have a cooking time of around 11 or 12 minutes, some may be close to 13 but I'm not sure, but never 20 minutes.

Well I don't know, but does this looked 'smashed'? This took 20 mins. I think it may just be that I prefer softer pasta - but not totally soft.

Similarly:

Well I don't know, but does this looked 'smashed'? This took 20 mins. I think it may just be that I prefer softer pasta - but not totally soft.

View attachment 74081

Similarly:

View attachment 74086

Nope but I’m still thinking about cooking pasta for 20 mins..you meant in boiling water or all the process which includes the seasoning?
I’m struggling to believe that some Italian brands of pasta say “20 mins cooking” 🤔

Nope but I’m still thinking about cooking pasta for 20 mins..you meant in boiling water or all the process which includes the seasoning?
I’m struggling to believe that some Italian brands of pasta say “20 mins cooking” 🤔

These were both Italian brands and cooked 20 mins in boiling salted water. Then, in the first case, simply tossed with the sauce (plus a little cooking water) - so not cooked in sauce. In the second case the spaghetti was drained and tossed in truffle oil plus pan sauce and then the girolles place on top. I will check the brands and report back.

Last edited:
Molto al dente is a preference for me with rice and pasta. I don't like pasta too soft.

And there are some pastas and the purpose they are put to where al dente is madatory. Take for example manicotti. If you intend to stuff manicotti shells, they will break apart, if they are cooked to softness. You can only stuff a manicotti shell when it is firm enough to pack in the ingredients you wish to fill them with. Afterwards, the manicotti will likely be covered with a sauce and cooked further, sometimes, browning and crisping parts of it. And that's part of the cooking game with manicotti.

Egg noodles made from scratch are another matter. These usually are part of a soup and will be cooked to softness, regardless, unless you are critical about when you add them to the soup. The same is true of udon noodles and possibly, ramen noodles as well. Al dente is probably less easy to achieve in these cases. But the question was timing, wasn't it? So, two aspects must be observed, 1) how long to cook a pasta from the start of immersing it in boiling water and 2) when to add it to a broth or soup. And that 2nd timing often applies to when certain vegetables and meats are added, to keep them semi-crisp when served. Often, there is no set number of minutes, but a good feel for when and how long, from experience.

These were both Italian brands and cooked 20 mins in boiling salted water. Then, in the first case, simply tossed with the sauce (plus a little cooking water) - so not cooked in sauce. In the second case the spaghetti was drained and tossed in truffle oil plus pan sauce and then the girolles place on top. I will check the brands and report back.

Yes please, I am so intrigued to know these Italian brands

Cooking (in boiling water) spaghetti for the example for 20 minutes will result in a soft and rather slippery product that has a gummy mouthfeel but will hold together and appear mostly normal (swollen) and not smashed as it has been described as a result of the 20 minute cooking time. It's a preference thing. If that's the way you enjoy eating pasta then by all means continue.

MG you say you follow the package directions but they're always undercooked for your taste, so you've adjusted for your taste basically.

Back
Top Bottom