How long does pasta keep?

foodterminology

Veteran
Local time
1:51 PM
I have a few bags and boxes of pasta, spaghetti, and macaroni. All the packaging is sealed. The "Best by" dates range from 2009 to 2015. Should I be safe, throw it all away, and buy fresh products or can I still use it? Thanks.

I have a few bags and boxes of pasta, spaghetti, and macaroni. All the packaging is sealed. The "Best by" dates range from 2009 to 2015. Should I be safe, throw it all away, and buy fresh products or can I still use it? Thanks.

It won't kill you! It just may take a little longer to cook. Test some out to see.

If the expiration dates are from 2009 - 2015, I would definitely throw it out .. However, this is me ..

Better safe than sorry ..

@ElizabethB & @morning glory

I would not personally eat anything that had an expiration date of 2009 - 2015 ..

I am very cautious with expiration dates or why have them in the 1st place ?

It is 3 months before 2018, and that makes these pastas 3 years old to 9 years old !

Over the years this subjects become a bit of a pet peeve with me. There is a common and ongoing misconception, bordering on stigma, about what an expiration date is. A frustratingly large number of people seem to believe that the Dept of Health, FDA and food industry in general has some magic crystal ball that can determine exactly when a product is no longer fit to eat and they stamp that date by law on every container every package and every jar of product you might see in your local grocery store.
Actual fact of the matter is that in the old old old days in order to avoid product wastes stores vendors and restaurants continued to sell product for years that they had on hand.
And since many products do spoil on the Shelf after a number of years the FDA and the like had to draw the line somewhere, it created expiration dates on products as a guideline after which the product cannot be sold. These dates also take into account the probability that a product might sit on a persons shelf or store restaurants shelf for a certain amount of time as well.
It's a guideline. It's a guess. It has nothing to do with when that product actually expires, because nobody can know that due to the fact that when a product goes bad depends on too many other factors that are beyond the manufacturers control. For example I have purchased milk that was already sour one week before its expiration date. Why? Because it was obviously mishandled--it probably sat in a crate on the dock for 4 hours before being loaded into the fridge.
My advice is, pay attention to the expiration date when you're standing in front of a shelf, ready to purchase product--you may as well get the freshest product you can.
But since you have no idea how that product was handled prior to your purchase, pay no attention to the expiration date once it's sitting in your pantry or in your frigerator.
Pay attention to the product itself. Its look it's smell its texture its taste.
If it seems to be bad dump it--if it doesn't seem to be bad keep it. If you start dumping good product because the expiration dates gone by you're not being safe, because there's no basis for that...you're just cheating yourself.
There you have it, my two cents worth.

Last edited:
Actually dry pasta is probably one of the least likely things to
spoil sitting round for years, due to almost no moisture to provide
a microbial growth medium. Its similar to freeze dried foods, which
last this side of forever as well.
Other foods that hold their own for long periods are those with an extremely low ph.
Ketchup for instance, and other acid based condiments.

@Slumgullioneer

What is done culturally across the blue pond and what is done in Spain are two totally different ball games .. ( I am from Barcelona. )

We throw it out after expiration dates, which rarely happens in Spain, as we shop differently as well .. We have Bio Ecological / Organic central markets and pick up all fresh, including pasta which is not that common at home. Most Spaniards eat Regional Spanish classics at home ..

We eat out at Italian Restaurants owned and operated by Italians ..

Have a very nice holiday season ..

We throw it out after expiration dates
Except that we're not talking about expiration dates here:
All the packaging is sealed. The "Best by" dates range from 2009 to 2015.
This is one of my bug bears - and it leads to so much unnecessary food waste.
There is a huge difference between "Use By" and "Best Before" dates.
"Use By" is an expiration date...ie. the date after which the manufacturer believes the food should not be eaten. It is generally used on fresh food. Most people follow these dates, some people on the other hand are happy to trust their own judgement on whether the food is still safe to eat.
"Best Before" is simply a date until which the manufacturer guarantees that the food item will remain in perfect condition. Its generally used on dried and tinned items. After this date the food is still perfectly edible and safe, it just may not be perfect in terms of texture or look. There is usually no reason not to use items well after their Best Before date - especially if the packaging is still sealed and in good condition.

Correct Ms Dangermouse (cute!) as I said, no crystal balls when food comes off the line.
These dates are used by food manufacturers, butchers, etc to limit their liability.
In other words, if you eat it after that date, get sick and try to sue, lots of luck.

In the catering industry, liability is the number one concern-- a guest eats at your event,
then has Elderly Aunt Ethyls famous sit-out-on-the-counter-for-3-hours-while-she-takes-her-pills-and-a-nap-before-cooking...chicken the next day. They get deathly ill...well theyre not gonna come after poor Ethyl, so who gets dragged into court?

Personally, I think there is so much misunderstanding of these dates that a clarification
of what it actually means should be mandatory on every product sporting such a date.
Something like this maybe....

"This manufacturer guarantees your satisfaction and safe consumption of this
product until the date shown. It is in no way is intended to imply a date upon which
the product might become unfit for human consumption."

Back
Top Bottom