How many of you use or cook with a Trinity?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:23 PM
Do you know what it is?

It is a mixture of onions, green pepper & celery, either chopped or sliced, It helps to flavor any dish, sauce or gravy that you may use it for. Especially Gumbo! I use it all the time for meats & spaghetti sauce.

It gets its name from the state of Louisiana - known the world over for its Cajun / Creole cuisine.
Miropuah, if I spelling or pronouncing it right, is the same thing, only chopped or cut carrots are added, gets its name from France. :wink:

Last edited:
Yes, regularly. Our version uses carrots instead of peppers and is called a mirepoix. It forms the basis of many dishes.

That would be Cajun. Cajun and Creole cuisine, most gumbo, jambalaya and etouffee recipes call for it.

Yes, regularly. Our version uses carrots instead of peppers and is called a mirepoix. It forms the basis of many dishes.

That's the French classic base - the 'trinity' is a term used for Cajun etc. as @CraigC says. I started using it a while back due to it being mentioned on the forum and it works surprisingly well - particularly with bay leaves. Its really rather different in taste from the classic mirepoix (which I also use).

That's the French classic base - the 'trinity' is a term used for Cajun etc. as @CraigC says. I started using it a while back due to hearing about it on this forum. There is a recipe here from @ElizabethB which I made - scroll down in that thread to see my effort...

Last edited:
You can keep the celery to yourself, i tend to throw beans or green peas into everything with my peppers and onions.

Back
Top Bottom