How Many Varieties of Potatoes Do You Use?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:26 AM
Our go to are russets, but Yukon Gold (both regular size and as New), new potatoes and fingerlings of various colors and sweet potatoes all have a roll in our cooking. Wish we could get more Peruvian varieties.

Lots - we tend to have different varieties to the US. I'll try to recall all the types I use! But you probably won't know them. Sweet potatoes are not really potatoes though...

King Edwards or Maris Piper for roasties or jackets. Charlotte or Jersey Royals for salads or summer dishes. We don't eat a lot of potatoes.

We mostly grow our own so we grow one Early and one Maincrop. Last year it was Red Duke of York and Vivaldi, this year its International Kidney (which its the same variety as Jersey Royals but they probably won't taste quite the same due to different soil conditions) Vivaldi again. Vivaldi have a really nice flavour and are very versatile.

I do occasionally buy potatoes - for example Jersey Royals when they're in season, or large baking potatoes if we've only got small ones left in the store.

Russets are our equivalent of agria, great for frying and roasting. I buy 10 kg bags. Summer time I grow new potatoes which we love, I plant a row every 2 weeks. These are cliff kidney which is the best sweetest ever. Friends and family love them. These only last for 2 to 3 months. We love them Xmas day.

Russ

Kifler potatoes, chat potatoes, sweet potatoes, white potatoes.

What do you tend to use in the UK?

Loads of choice here. Its taking me a while to compile a list of those I use!

At the moment I have in the cupboard:

Charlottes
Jeresey Royals
Maris Piper (large for baking)
Alouette (floury red skinned)

I also use:
King Edwards (floury for roasting, chips or baking)
La Ratte - wonderful when I can get them
Elfe
Vivaldi
Albert Bartlett Rooster
Apache

Lots more besides - one favourite which I haven't seen for a while is Pink Fir Apple. Divine! Waxy, nutty...

Pink Fir Apple:

110808-001.jpg

I used to grow so many different types. Mostly mentioned above, but now I concentrate on varieties I can't buy such as Shetland black which area a firm favourite here. Cara are another one that serve always grown (main crop and really good for large bakers).
Varieties easily available are limited in Australia. I'm going to go online this year too purchase them. I'll do it whilst in in the UK so that they are delivered not long after getting home. We've extended the veg plot and the new patch would benefit from tatties in the soil the first year.

I use everything that's available at the market, so that means russets, golds, and reds mainly, with the occasional fingerling and mixed fingerlings thrown in.

We don't get a big variety here, even at the specialty stores.

Back
Top Bottom