White wine
Raspberry
Cranberry
Sherry
White
Japanese rice
4 kinds of balsamic
Malt

Regular balsamic di Modena (actually, about 4 or 5 kinds of that), 20 yr old Italian, black walnut, and white balsamic.

Just cider vinegar and rice wine. Malt is under the sink for cleaning purposes. I used to have balsamic and tarragon vinegar but no more.

I feel I'm in need of expanding my collection. I do love vinegar.

Used in Chinese cooking.

Not something that I keep in the "larder".

vinegars 2 s.jpg

Just cider vinegar and rice wine

I don't even have rice wine any more. My tarragon vinegar ended up being poured onto the compost heap.

I do use cider vinegar occasionally but that's about it.

Balsamic vinegar gets my vote for the most over-used and least understood food product in the world.

I love balsamic vinegar but it can be contaminated with gluten (from the barrels) so I avoid it. I;m sure there are places that do gluten-free so I should seek that out.

Apple cider
Balsamic
Chinkiang (aka Black Vinegar)
Rice Wine
White

I used to have other variations, but I've found that I can do basically whatever I need to do using white vinegar as a base. Add 1 part red wine to 4 parts white vinegar, and you have a good red wine vinegar substitute. I used to do the same thing using apple cider + white vinegar. But the kids tend to drink it all; what they can't find tends to spoil. And, I find that I like having apple cider vinegar around for pickling.

Balsamic vinegar gets my vote for the most over-used and least understood food product in the world.

I've also found that I almost never use balsamic vinegar anymore. I recall using it far more than everything combined years ago. But, it has such a specific flavor - nice though it is - that it overpowers other flavors, so I tend to avoid it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom