How many will you be cooking for this Christmas?

Shaun

Guru
Local time
10:13 PM
My wife and I are the join of two large families, and between us and our immediate family members (brothers, sisters and their kids) there are 38 of us! :eek:

Whilst it is great to see everyone and get together at Christmas, we have a tradition in our house of just having Christmas dinner to ourselves; me, the wife and our daughter (oh, and the cat gets a bit of gourmet cat food too).

So how many will you be cooking for this Christmas? ... or maybe you're being invited to someone else's house as a guest this year so will be able to kick back and relax whilst your family and friends do all the hard work (or have all the fun, depending on how you look at it)?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Just 4 of us.
Turkey goes in the oven at 10.00 am and cooks for 3 hours then rests covered in foil and towel for two hours. Nothing to do for several hours!
Roast potatoes and parsnips go in the oven at 2pm together with a vegetarian roast and pigs in blankets.
Make bread sauce. Pre-cooked carrots and sprouts and heated in microwave at last minute. Heat up gravy made the day before from turkey giblets. Dinner on table at 3 pm.
Xmas pudding (if we had one) would be re-heated in microwave and then flamed in brandy.

To be honest, I don't find cooking Xmas dinner to be any different from a Sunday roast (in fact its easier because the turkey will only benefit from several hours resting!). This gives plenty of time to do other things.The real problem is, when you have to cook for huge numbers. Then it just becomes mass catering and frankly, stressful.

Just the 6. Me & my boyfriend, mum & dad, sister and her husband.
I do most things except the bacon thing over the goose, I think it is any how,

Zero if I have my way. Most years I travel that day. I am not sure it will happen this time around. If it doesn't I will be home and cook for my husband, son, mother-in-law and my four dogs always get something. It won't be a Xmas lunch though. I'd be just another Sunday lunch on Xmas day.

Zero if I have my way. Most years I travel that day. I am not sure it will happen this time around. If it doesn't I will be home and cook for my husband, son, mother-in-law and my four dogs always get something. It won't be a Xmas lunch though. I'd be just another Sunday lunch on Xmas day.
Is Xmas generally not a big deal in the Caribbean?

I'm cooking for just me and my friend. It won't be traditional turkey as its just not worth the expense for two of us. I'm leaving it a bit late to decide what to cook!

I'm leaving it a bit late to decide what to cook!
late is on the day when you are hungry and haven't cooked. Don't worry. In years gone by my OH and I have simply had a lump of Christmas cake and a cup of coffee whilst out mountaineering. The cake contains everything you need for a meal! Other times we have had bean and cheese on toast (when I could have dairy) or beans and egg on toast.

We decided to have duck. Its a British whole duck from Marks & Spencer which we bought tonight. I have cooked duck twice before with different results. The first attempt was a bit dry. The next time I cooked it longer at a low heat and it was good. I'm using a recipe from Elizabeth David and I'm thinking of adding some kind of fruit. Any ideas will be appreciated!

We decided to have duck. Its a British whole duck from Marks & Spencer which we bought tonight. I have cooked duck twice before with different results. The first attempt was a bit dry. The next time I cooked it longer at a low heat and it was good. I'm using a recipe from Elizabeth David and I'm thinking of adding some kind of fruit. Any ideas will be appreciated!
I'm not a duck expert... but I think slow is best.

Back
Top Bottom