How much does bread cost where you live?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:49 AM
What is the cheapest loaf of bread you can buy where you live? There might be cheaper but this is the cheapest I found: 59p in UK money.

217833011_0_150x150.jpg

This is an 800g loaf, so a large loaf. Its 59p which is approximately 90 cents (I think) or very approximately 1 AUD/NZD or .70 Euros.

Last edited:
I sometimes buy a multigrain from the bakery and it's 3.99. Also a sliced sandwich sourdough round loaf from premier out of Quebec and it's 3.49.

I think my UK 59p loaf is equivalent to 1 Canadian dollar. Are your 3.99/3.49 loaves the cheapest available?

The cheapest store brand bread at my local Kroger is $1.25 USD for a 20 ounce loaf.

CD

I think my UK 59p loaf is equivalent to 1 Canadian dollar. Are your 3.99/3.49 loaves the cheapest available?
Not sure which is the cheapest lol I never go to that area of the supermarket, except for hamburger buns sometimes. I suspect cheap bread is probably in the 1.50 to 2.00 range but not sure. Most I wouldn't even classify as bread really.

What's wrong with white bread? There is nothing better for a bacon butty!
Nothing wrong with white bread MG but Rocklobster is probably referring to the sugar laden soft loaves that you could collapse down to a fraction of it's size by giving it a good squeeze.

What's wrong with white bread? There is nothing better for a bacon butty!
Nothing wrong with it...it can get very low quality here...so, compared to many other types it pales in comparison..and, I do like it for certain applications..

Not sure which is the cheapest lol I never go to that area of the supermarket, except for hamburger buns sometimes. I suspect cheap bread is probably in the 1.50 to 2.00 range but not sure. Most I wouldn't even classify as bread really.
Regular white and brown bread usually goes down to 2 bucks a loaf...I buy it regularly for the shop..

Nothing wrong with white bread MG but Rocklobster is probably referring to the sugar laden soft loaves that you could collapse down to a fraction of it's size by giving it a good squeeze.

Yes, there is good white bread, and there is cheap, "commodity" white bread. To get a good quality white bread where I live, it will cost at least two-bucks, and over three for the best.

CD

Right, your new store. Hope your doing well. For the restaurant, we make all our own bread products but sometimes get sliced bread for staff meals etc.
I'm on the main street..small town..we have a small classic sandwich section on the menu..I'm too busy to bake anything...

Yes, there is good white bread, and there is cheap, "commodity" white bread. To get a good quality white bread where I live, it will cost at least two-bucks, and probably over three.

CD
I occasionally buy what they call a butter white loaf and is 4.99 a loaf and the taste of butter is obvious and right up my alley.

I'm the same as casey - $1.25 for a 20oz loaf of Kroger bread, so that's 570g for 91p, more or less.

Now, I'm betting Walmart likely has cheaper bread, as likely do some of the more bargain places around here, like Sav-A-Lot or even one of the dollar store chains, but I can't check them online.

Then there are the bakery outlets which sell bread that's near, at, or past the best buy date...those get really cheap.

I like different breads for different things. A classic BLT, for me, has to be on the softest of soft white supermarket bread. Same thing with an egg sandwich and a PBJ. Toast with breakfast, that's got to be rye or pumpernickel. Whole wheat is my preferred bread for lunchmeat sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom