How often do you clean your cutting board?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:41 AM
How often do you thorougly clean your cutting board?

How often do any of you thoroughly clean your cutting board?

Last week, I ordered a slightly larger white cutting board from Amazon.com. It came yesterday. I knew what it was because of the box that it came in.

I unpacked it, but left the cellophane wrap on it. When I went to put it away where the other cutting boards are, I was totally shocked at how dirty, dingy and nasty looking that the old one was!!!

So I ran some hot water into the dishpan, added some bleach and dishwashing liquid to the pan. But because of the length of the cutting board, I soaked it half at a time, switching over to the other half & back now & then.

After soaking it over night, I was quite surprised that it came out nearly as clean as it was when it was new!!! I shutter to even THINK of all the germs, bacteria & pathogens that could've been on that thing!!!

Taught me a lesson though; To clean it periodically!! I was about to throw it away, but I thought about cleaning it first to see how clean it would get. Not quite as clean as the new one, but it is now a heck of a lot better than it was before!!!!
wow.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Mod Edit. Content Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually don't use a cutting board, I cut very carefully directly on the counter, eeep! I know that's bad!

What are your cutting boards made of? I recently learned that bacteria can't grow on wood cutting boards. Apparently it's common knowledge but I had no idea. When I used a plastic one I just rinsed it after chopping vegetables, but I'd scrub the heck out of it if I was cutting meat.

Last edited:
We don't tend to wash ours down at all, but we have no meat, fish or dairy in this house only veg with us both being effectively vegan,so it is not as bad as it first sounds. However, I do think people pay way too much notice to what can grow on a chopping board and not enough notice of what is going on with dish cloths! Ever noticed how badly yours smells? That's the bacteria, curiously chopping boards never seem to smell that bad!

I both used wood and plastic cutting boards. Meats, poultry and fish are for wood cutting board and vegetables for plastic cutting board. After every use I always see to it that I clean it very well at once and dry it outside the sun to take off the bad smell and the bacteria away.

I always clean them after each use, a quick wipe down and then I soak and scrub them. I don't have any meat, but if I'm chopping onions, I don't like the smell to linger and I just like to keep things as clean as possible and looking new.

We don't tend to wash ours down at all, but we have no meat, fish or dairy in this That house only veg with us both being effectively vegan,so it is not as bad as it first sounds. However, I do think people pay way too much notice to what can grow on a chopping board and not enough notice of what is going on with dish cloths! Ever noticed how badly yours smells? That's the bacteria, curiously chopping boards never seem to smell that bad!
Ugh, there's nothing worse than the smell of a wet, musty washcloth. I don't think people realize how much bacteria can grow on them or in the sink. I once saw a documentary about bacteria and they swabbed a sink and said it was dirtier than a toilet! I used to boil my washcloths in a pot of water with some soap at a time when I didn't have a washing machine to make sure they were really clean. The smell of boiling fabric is surprisingly nice.

Back
Top Bottom