How often do you eat dessert?

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "dessert."

When we go out somewhere with a decent dessert selection (once a month or so), we'll definitely get dessert, though we'll frequently share.

At home, when I'm menu-planning, I usually do one dessert a week, because with just two of us, a fruit pie or a cake or bread pudding will last several days. If I've made dessert, then we're going to have that. On average, I probably actually get around to doing this maybe twice a month.

Other than that, I'll have at least a cookie/biscuit every night with my tea, before going to bed. My wife frequently reminds me that biscuits and tea do not a dessert make, though. :)

My wife is of the strong opinion that a person (namely her) should have a proper dessert every night, and twice a day on weekends and holidays. If I don't happen to pick her up an individual cake slice or an eclair in town, she'll usually have a bowl of ice cream or a big bowl of super-sweet kiddie cereal at night.

Oddly...she says popcorn is an ok substitute for a sweet dessert. 🤔

Very rarely do I eat dessert. My ex-wife was a dessert hound. She could also bake some amazing desserts.

There is one dessert I can't resist... a good NOLA style Bread Pudding with Bourbon sauce.

CD

Extremely rarely - in fact I rarely eat any sweet dishes, cakes etc. I'm definitely a fan of savoury over sweet. In fact, in my experience, this forum seemed to attract cooks who prefer to cook savoury. Its not very often that a dessert recipe is posted.

Last edited:
this forum seemed to attract cooks who prefer to cook savoury. Its not very often that a desset recipe is posted.

I'm not so much someone who prefers savory over sweet (well, in a larger sense, I guess I do), I just find it a lot more interesting to cook with something in an unexpected way.

Show me something that's very traditionally an item that ends up in dessert dishes (like a banana), and I automatically think, "Can I put that in a soup or a sauce for meat or something?"

The reverse is also true, but I've yet to find a savory use for buttercream frosting! :)

Show me something that's very traditionally an item that ends up in dessert dishes (like a banana), and I automatically think, "Can I put that in a soup or a sauce for meat or something?"

The reverse is also true, but I've yet to find a savory use for buttercream frosting! :)

Yes to this!

I never make desserts for just me - and as noted, when out, I'll seldom get one. I can be tempted by tiramisu, a good cheesecake - and I did enjoy the bourbon bread pudding down in NOLA that one time. (Especially as there were no raisins.) If I ever do buy something for home, it's a very DARK chocolate bar - maybe eat two squares at a time - or a good quality ice cream usually focused around coffee or chocolate.

People will often say, "Do save room for dessert!" (I'm like: "Why?") Though if someone went to the effort to MAKE it, I'll usually take a small slice so they don't feel badly about it...

Most supermarket sweets/desserts do leave me feeling a little sick/queasy. This actually also goes for cakes and cookies made from store-bought mixes, as well. Some ingredient, possibly a preservative? A faux butter? Those are easy to decline.

When we had bake sales at work (for one or another cause), I'd always make the most savory sorts of muffins I could think of - actual fruit in them, interesting grains like oatmeal, minimal sugars.

Last edited:
I'm not that crazy about ice cream and can go months and months without eating it. I do have a couple of favorite flavors, and one of those is peppermint/candy cane ice cream, which can be had only around the holidays.

Favorite desserts for me would be some kind of cake, and that can run the gamut from spicy gingerbread and unfrosted fruit-based cakes to super-sweet and rich double-chocolate with chocolate frosting layer cakes, but I just don't make them that often.

I love just about any kind of bread pudding, as long as there's a sauce to go with it, and I love those very medieval flavors in a Christmas pudding, with a good sauce.

I probably have more of a weakness for sweets that I don't consider desserts. I usually make some kind of white chocolate bark this time of year, I can't leave that alone. I love doughnuts, which is why I never buy them, because I can eat my weight in caramel-covered buttercream-stuffed long johns. Cookies, if they're lying around, it can be hard to walk by the plate without grabbing one or three, just out of habit.

One thing I don't like...fruit pies, fruit tarts, that kind of thing, and oddly, that's the dessert I make the most of, mainly because it's easy.

Back
Top Bottom