How to achieve results like these with pizza?

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
11:58 PM
JetsPizza040416.jpg

For those of you that don't know, this is Jet's Pizza. It's amazing and their "8 corner" pizza has that delicious garlic buttery crunch all around it. How do they get this? It's a rectangular pan, I get that, but how do they get the crust like that? I can only get a typical "Handlebar" crust when I use a rectangular pan. Any insight on this?

As above and they put a lot of EVOO in the pan, basically frying the crust. If it tastes garlicky, they probably simmer the oil with slices of garlic, cool, strain and then use. The oil in the pan is how Pizza Hut also gets that crust on their pan pizzas.

Last edited:
I may try "cooking" my ready to cook pizzas in an almost dry frying pan next time in order to try to obtain a crisp base. I'll use a pan with a lid.

As above and they put a lot of EVOO in the pan, basically frying the crust. If it tastes garlicky, they probably simmer the oil with slices of garlic, cool, strain and then use. The oil in the pan is how Pizza Hut also gets that crust on their pan pizzas.
I talked to a buddy I work with and he used to make these. He said it was a mixture of corn oil and butter used to fry the bread on the sides and bottom. Maybe it's just me but olive oil (by itself) does not taste good. I don't believe it's supposed to ever be the "dominant ingredient, in anything. It's meant to be used WITH something else.

I talked to a buddy I work with and he used to make these. He said it was a mixture of corn oil and butter used to fry the bread on the sides and bottom. Maybe it's just me but olive oil (by itself) does not taste good. I don't believe it's supposed to ever be the "dominant ingredient, in anything. It's meant to be used WITH something else.

Do what you think best. I know what i saw.

BTW, Cook's Country even says to use olive oil when making that kind of pizza.

And the olive oil IS being used WITH something else, i.e. dough cheese, sauce, etc.

Do what you think best. I know what i saw.

BTW, Cook's Country even says to use olive oil when making that kind of pizza.

And the olive oil IS being used WITH something else, i.e. dough cheese, sauce, etc.

EVOO seems a bit strong to use for this. Perhaps a lighter OO. I also can imagine a Detroit pizzeria using a pricy oil like EVOO. Mixing with butter sounds promising, too.

CD

EVOO seems a bit strong to use for this. Perhaps a lighter OO. I also can imagine a Detroit pizzeria using a pricy oil like EVOO. Mixing with butter sounds promising, too.

CD

I've used EVOO quite a few times when i have made copy kat recipes of Pizza Hut's priazzos, which are basically pan pizzas with a lot of fillings and with a top crust for those that are not old enough to have had one or the opportunity to have one. It works just fine to get that fried type crust and there's no funky added taste.

Olive oil is what I use, but I’m sure other oils/fat mixtures will work.

Back
Top Bottom