How to avoid off topic posting?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:57 PM
Mod.comment: This is the third time I've had to remind members to start a new thread rather than go off topic. I've moved off topic posts to two new threads - one about curry and one about sushi. The forum needs new threads, not meandering off topic discussions which will never show up on a search. Furthermore, its very off-putting to new members or members who don't post a lot to go to a thread which interests them only to find that its discussing a completely different topic. So please, next time you are about to post think - 'would this make a new thread?'

To clarify. If we, as mere mortals, wish to respond to a post which is "off topic" should we copy said post to a new thread prior to responding. Obviously we cannot relocate the original post to a new thread (unless we were the culprits - Royal "We").

Last edited:
To clarify. If we, as mere mortals, wish to respond to a post which is "off topic" should we copy said post to a new thread prior to responding. Obviously we cannot relocate the original post to a new thread (unless we were the culprits - Royal "We").

Just start a new thread and if you like, refer to the 'off topic' post you are responding to by copying and pasting the post number. That's the little hash tag number top right of post. But really - all you need to do is start a new thread and simply say 'as discussed in another thread'.

Another way is to highlight the text of the post you want to reply to and click on +quote. Then you can quote it in your new thread and it will credit the author.

Last edited:
Just start a new thread and if you like, refer to the 'off topic' post you are responding to by copying and pasting the post number. That's the little hash tag number top right of post. But really - all you need to do is start a new thread and simply say 'as discussed in another thread'.

Another way is to highlight the text of the post you want to reply to and click on +quote. Then you can quote it in your new thread and it will credit the author.

Right. I know what to do in future.

Maybe.

If I remember.

Just a minor technicality, but that's cross posting which isn't permitted in those pesky rules... I'll work out a way of allowing it for the sake of not going off-topic (also in those pesky rules) but not for carrying an argument across threads!

Just a minor technicality, but that's cross posting which isn't permitted in those pesky rules... I'll work out a way of allowing it for the sake of not going off-topic (also in those pesky rules) but not for carrying an argument across threads!

I sort of wondered (knew?) that. But when us mods start new thread from off topic posts we do quote, so...

I think these posts about off topic posts need moving now! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom