How to defrost beef mince

MrMajeika

Local time
5:57 AM
I have a packet of beef mince in the freezer and I fancy to make meatballs but I only have about 2 hrs or so till dinner time so looking for tips to defrost it. Should I use the microwave? I don't want it to start to cook at the edges although I guess that doesn't really matter. Any tips?

I have a packet of beef mince in the freezer and I fancy to make meatballs but I only have about 2 hrs or so till dinner time so looking for tips to defrost it. Should I use the microwave? I don't want it to start to cook at the edges although I guess that doesn't really matter. Any tips?
I usually let it sit in hot (not boiling) water for several minutes, remove the thawed bit, then repeat until it’s all thawed.

For a quick and easy lunches, I usually have a Mexican seasoned mince beef ready to go.
To defrost the 1 kg of meat, I just dump it in a deep sided pan, with 1 tsp of water and set it to high, the steam is incredibly effect at defrosting. I turn it so the meat on the base doesn't get scorched. It only takes a few minutes.

Biggest problem on fast defrosting is the bacteria. They grow fast in temps between 20-40°C and they surely love beef/meat.
Easiest way to defrost it: under cold water
It's true, but if it's cooked thoroughly it shouldn't matter too much IMO.

Last edited:
Biggest problem on fast defrosting is the bacteria. They grow fast in temps between 20-40°C and they surely love beef/meat.
In the fridge is best. Under cold running water acceptable. For time management, take the frozen ground and with a clever if you have one cut into small pieces, put in a sealed bag in a container with running cold water, shouldn't take long. Of course the smaller the pieces the quicker it defrosts.

If I defrost in the microwave or hot water bacteria shouldn't be an issue if I'm going to make the meatballs straight away right?

Yes, that's what I do. Since I vacuum seal my ground meats, I just drop the bag of meat into a cold water bath, and it thaws quickly, but never gets warm enough to be dangerous. The larger the vessel of water, the faster and safer the thaw.

I don't recommend this for a solid meat, like a steak. It changes the texture of the meat, somehow.

CD

I'm not going by the HACCP-hygiene guideline (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) at home too, but it's a recommendation that many restaurants have to take serious, as a good hygiene affects the food entirely, just to know everything is absolutely safe is enough. Bacterias are tricky, they are not growing in the same manner everytime, except in the laboratory, and when they had a nice party in your food, you don't want them to make that again.

I'm not going by the HACCP-hygiene guideline (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) at home too, but it's a recommendation that many restaurants have to take serious, as a good hygiene affects the food entirely, just to know everything is absolutely safe is enough. Bacterias are tricky, they are not growing in the same manner everytime, except in the laboratory, and when they had a nice party in your food, you don't want them to make that again.

I had food poisoning once. That was about 8 hours of pure hell, followed by a few days of NO appetite, and at least a week of LITTLE appetite.

CD

If it was me, I'd leave the frozen mince in the freezer for another day and nip out and buy some fresh.

[Edit: I've only now noticed that the OP was 14 hours ago. Oh well, maybe next time]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom