How to get bread really fluffy and light?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
1:22 PM
I've been mking bread for awhile now. It taste greats looks great everything is fine. My only issue with it is that it's not fluffy at all. It's dense and a bit heavy. It's fine the way it is but I want that fluffy light bread. I've tried just about everything more yeast, even baking powder, letting it rise longer, and I've also tried sifting the flour. Anybody have any tips or suggestions onhow to get that perfect light fluffy bread?

Ironically, bread flour makes bread more chewy and less fluffy, since it consist of all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten: the gluten is what makes the bread more dense. This is a good thing for a sandwich roll, since it stands up to wet ingredients better. But, not so much if you want a fluffier bread in general.

Prepping ingredients for my second try at bread making. This time - APF instead of Bread Flour. I did not like the dense texture of the first batch.

In the UK we don't get APF but I believe it is the equivalent to plain flour. I've never tried using it for bread. It really doesn't have enough structure. The gluten is lower and it will produce a cake like crumb. Perhaps the flour in the US is different but certainly no UK recipe would recommend using plain flour. I'll be interested to see and hear how it works out.

I'm planning (and have been for some time) on baking hot dog rolls. They are not easy to obtain here off the shelf except for the very sweet ones.

I've been looking at this recipe but I cannot obtain "strong white flour" (only bread flour). I'm not sure if this will satisfy your (k)needs :giggle:

http://www.thebreadkitchen.com/recipes/hot-dog-bread-rolls-recipe/

The eggs will produce a richer softer dough (known as enriched dough). This recipe has 50g sugar in it. You might want to cut that down. The sugar isn't necessary if you are using dried yeast. Milk can also be used to partly replace water for a soft texture. If I get time, I'll try the recipe too.

The eggs will produce a richer softer dough (known as enriched dough). This recipe has 50g sugar in it. You might want to cut that down. The sugar isn't necessary if you are using dried yeast. Milk can also be used to partly replace water for a soft texture. If I get time, I'll try the recipe too.

I would have reduced the sugar by 75%. I really cannot deal with sweet bread. I'm not sure how the bread maker will deal with the sticky dough though (kneading only).

Firstly, it would be useful to know the recipe you are using as then we could see what might be the issue. Would you be able to post it here? Also, the type of flour.
Here is the recipe for 2 loafs of bread
6 cups APF
1tsp salt
2 big tbs of fresh yeast
1tbs of sugar
1cup of water
I knead it all together for 10 mins then let it rise for 2hrs then punch it and wait another 2 to 1 hr depending on how fast it doubles in size. Then I bake the loafs in a 200°C (400°F) until it's completly done

Ironically, bread flour makes bread more chewy and less fluffy, since it consist of all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten: the gluten is what makes the bread more dense. This is a good thing for a sandwich roll, since it stands up to wet ingredients better. But, not so much if you want a fluffier bread in general.
I use all purpose flour not bread flour ._.

Here is the recipe for 2 loafs of bread
6 cups APF
1tsp salt
2 big tbs of fresh yeast
1tbs of sugar
1cup of water
I knead it all together for 10 mins then let it rise for 2hrs then punch it and wait another 2 to 1 hr depending on how fast it doubles in size. Then I bake the loafs in a 200°C (400°F) until it's completly done

You are using fresh yeast - in which case you need to mix the yeast, sugar and some warm water first and then leave it until it froths. Only then can you mix it into the flour.

You are using fresh yeast - in which case you need to mix the yeast, sugar and some warm water first and then leave it until it froths. Only then can you mix it into the flour.
Thank you for letting me know but I already knew this and I do it every time :) I always put it in when the yeast mixture when it is very bubbly

Back
Top Bottom